Author Topic: So stoked, soon to be smoked!  (Read 3848 times)

restorick2378

So stoked, soon to be smoked!
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
Just ordered a #3 after talking with Steve today.  If the stars align and the smoking gods are kind, I could have it sitting on my doorstep by Friday!

It will be a pleasant surprise for when my brother arrives in early August.  That man smokes most everything, and since he lives in Barbados he has to do it with some interesting woods, rubs and finishing sauces.  I'm looking forward to giving him a run for his money, only being able to do it while I'm off cutting the grass, having a beer with the neighbors or out riding the Harley.

Oh, and for good measure, my lovely bride suggested I order a matching Auber, figuring that I'd likely try to build my own and wouldn't have time before my brother arrives.  Yes, she is awesome, and no, she doesn't have any single sisters...   8)

Looking forward to my maiden voyage.  Thanks to Steve and everyone here for some excellent information, feedback and support!

I'm thinking a nice brisket for the inaugural smoke...  Whaddya think?

Thanks everyone!
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin
#3 with Auber PID - Lazy-Q heaven on earth!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: So stoked, soon to be smoked!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »
Way to go, Rick!  You'll blow him away with the quality of your "Lazy Q!"  Whatever happens, make sure you keep that lovely bride happy!  You'll love the #3 + Auber combo!! 

A nice briskie is a good choice for a first smoke.  I love the bone-in Boston butt as a first smoke, too.  Nothing like a good, long smoke to break that bad boy in and let you get to know how it performs for the long haul!  Check out the beef section on brisket - lots of good recipes there (unless you're already a brisket master - then you can school us).  You definitely have the right idea about what to do while smoking your Q, instead of tending the smoker non-stop!

Let us know when she gets there!  Btw, when you season it, don't add any foil or check the temps.  Just throw 3-4 of the hickory dowels that come with it in there, set to 250, and let 'er rip for 4 hours!

I spent a lot of time in Wisconsin with a company I used to work for; what part are you from?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mnsmoker

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »
Hey Rick welcome!! Wonder how much it costs to ship a #3 to Barbados ? Your brother will want one when he sees how awesome your smoker performs!!
Jim from Minnesota

restorick2378

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »
Let us know when she gets there!  Btw, when you season it, don't add any foil or check the temps.  Just throw 3-4 of the hickory dowels that come with it in there, set to 250, and let 'er rip for 4 hours!

I spent a lot of time in Wisconsin with a company I used to work for; what part are you from?

Thanks Tony.  I'm in New Berlin, a suburb of MKE on the SE side.  Appreciate the kind words and suggestions, will let her break in while I finish my deck project this weekend!

Which company were you with?
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin

restorick2378

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
Hey Rick welcome!! Wonder how much it costs to ship a #3 to Barbados ? Your brother will want one when he sees how awesome your smoker performs!!

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the note!  I'm guessing it would be cheaper for him to send it with his luggage! I wonder if we could break it down flat and save him a few bucks?   8)

Rick
Rick from Wisconsin

restorick2378

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
Quick Update - just received confirmation emails that my orders shipped!  If FedEx keeps their promise, I'll be unpacking that bad boy sometime tomorrow afternoon!

Rick - as anxious as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers...
Rick from Wisconsin

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
Get some meat prepped and ready to throw in there after your seasoning run cools down. You could start a big butt smoking around midnight tomorrow and be eating it Saturday afternoon.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »
I like your thinking there Brian. A pork butt at Midnight sounds like an awesome idea!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 07:32:46 PM »
That's great, Rick!  It will arrive soon!  I worked for Roehl Transport out of Marshfield.  I know just where you are!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!