Author Topic: Question about Seasoning the Smoker  (Read 5940 times)

Dan

Question about Seasoning the Smoker
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
I unpacked and washed my new model 3 and put two of the provided wood blocks in the wood box. I plugged it in and turned the temp up to 250 and left it there for four hours. I saw and smelled a little smoke. After the four hours, I let the smoker cool overnight. When I opened it up, I found one wood block barely darkened and the other had one corner that was charred.  I expected to see just ash or atleast fully charred lumps. Did I do something wrong? Is it important where I place the wood? I monitored the internal temp with a thermocouple. The smoker did get hot. The temp did vary as I expected.
Also, Is there supposed to be a bracket or some other feature to hold the door end of the wood box up off the floor of the smoker? When I opened the smoker, the door end of the wood box sagged was touching the floor of the smoker. Is that ok?
Thanks to any and all responders.
Dan

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about Seasoning the Smoker
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
Some blocks burn more than others Also placement in the fire box seems to make a difference, on my #3. A block all the way in the back seems to smoke quicker and consume more wood than one placed in the front. Rather than having doubts, just run it again you wont hurt it. I am assuming you didn't have foil in the bottom or in some way blocked the vent/drain hole under the fire box. When you do foil it it, you must clear that hole. My wood box sets flush on the floor, not sure what sagging you may have noticed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:20:12 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
Hey Dan - welcome..... I'm new to this as well and I was also was wondering about the front end of the wood box sagging and coming to rest on the floor of the smoker.  I just completed my first smoke and I had to take some time to clean this bottom section of the woodbox as it came into contact with all the rib juices, etc.  and burned them on.

I was thinking about finding a small piece of metal to put under the fire box to raise it off the floor to solve that problem.  I have not seen this addressed in any of the questions/answers on this forum but would be interested to see if anyone has a resolution for this.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
Something sounds strange about this!   I have a #2 with a similar heating element as the #3, and I have a metal bar that runs around the heating element.  The wood box slides in along the metal bar so that the heating element is close to the bottom of the box.   The bar holds the box up so that it does not drop down.   I wonder if the metal bar is missing from your unit?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:22:23 PM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I do have the metal bar just like your picture shows but after sliding the box all the way back, the front end of the fire box seems to be too heavy for the metal bar and the front end of the box pushes down to the floor of the smoker.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
Wow.  I would suggest contacting Steve at SI to see what he advises...the weight of the smoke box should not be causing it to drop to the floor of the smoker.   Strange.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm going to attempt another seasoning run tonight.
All that holds up my wood box is a steel band around the heating element that is attached to the back wall.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
I am assuming that you are sliding the metal bar inside of the smoke box...the smoke box does not sit on top of the metal bar, rather the metal bar slides inside of the box so that the heating element is close to the location of the wood.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
I think the smoke box in my #3 sits pretty low in the front if not touching the bottom of my smoker too. I don't think this is a big deal.

But, if you are not getting much smoke and your blocks are not turning to ash set at 250 for 4 hours, you may have a problem with your element or your controller.

Like others have said, I would try another seasoning session and see what happens. I would use the two blocks that you used the first time and add a third one evenly spread in your smoke box. Make sure the block closest to the door is not too close to the end of the box as that is also the end of the element.

Let us know how the second seasoning goes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. I also have the #3 and the the end of the smoker box on my smoker does drop a bit, but does barely clear the floor. I have never had an issue with this. One thing that I can think of is that the smoker box on the #3 is longer and heavier than the #1 or #2, therefore I would expect that the added weight of the box would put pressure on the bracket around the heating element, causing it to hang lower.

I would try another smoke making sure that the box is sitting flush on the bracket, but ensure that you slide the element through the box. As a suggestion, before you do your next smoke, put the smoker box in the same way you had it for the first smoke and take a picture and upload to this post. This will allow us to see if the placement of the box is correct. Also make sure that if using foil on the bottom of the box, ensure that you puncture a hole through the foil over the drain plug. Without the hole, you will not have proper air flow which will definitely impact your smoke.  Good luck and don't get discourage, the #3 is an amazing unit.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:56:51 PM »
Welcome Dan, and sorry about your problem!  What you're saying is unusual, and what the guys are saying here has covered it well.  One thing I would suggest, before attempting another seasoning, is to remove the smoke box, open the door, and turn the dial to 250.  See if the element gets hot.  You can hold a temp probe near it (maybe 4-5" away, at the closest) and see what kind of temps you're seeing.  Obviously, use extreme caution around an exposed 1200 w element, unless you want a trip to the emergency room!

I would troubleshoot the element first.  If it is getting hot, try putting the smoke box back in, with wood near the middle, and see how it goes.  If it continues to not heat properly, definitely call Steve.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Dan

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
Good news. I just completed a second seasoning run. I got plenty of smoke and the interior of the smoker has a nice film of condensed smoke residue. The difference was a more careful foil wrap on the lid for the wood box. During the first run there were some foil wings on the sides that must have restricted the air flow. The holes weren't covered, just had an extended roof. This time, one of the wood chunks is mostly ash. The other two are charcoal.
Now I am anxiously awaiting the arrival  of the Auber controller and tuning it. There is a rack of ribs and a home corned brisket in the fridge waiting to smoke and turn into pastrami.
I still wonder about the flimsy cantilever mounted heater/wood box holder. I did have the wood box installed correctly.
Thanks to all who responded so quickly with sound advice. I'm sure I will be back with more questions and maybe even some advice to the next new bean.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
Good news, Dan!  You actually don't need to foil anything during seasoning, but it's OK.  I wouldn't worry about the smoke box droop; hasn't been an issue that I'd heard of.  As long as it's not against the element, you'll be fine.  Good luck with that first smoke!  Be sure to post some pics - we LOVE good Q pics around here! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 07:02:31 AM »
Great to hear Dan...I think you have it under control now!  Happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

GeeBee

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »
Also,  nobody has mentioned it here, but there is a front and back to the wood box. One end of the box has a metal plate across it which prevents the box from going all the way to the back of the smoker.  You might try turning your box around and seeing if it fits better.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !