Author Topic: New Owner/Member and 1st Smoke  (Read 3345 times)

Big Red Home Smoker

New Owner/Member and 1st Smoke
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
I'm a brand new owner of the model 3 and had my 1st smoke yesterday.  Thanks to all the great info on this site helping me out with my new smoker.  All things considered, it was very successful.  It did take a little longer than anticipated for the cook/smoke.  I smoked three racks of baby backs doing the following.  Applied my rub the previous day and let it set overninight in the fridge.  Used three pieces of the wood provided with the smoker from the delivery.  Used a small pan of apple juice sitting next to the wood box.  1st hour set at 140 degrees and then set temp to 225 after the 1st hour but changed to the max of 250 degrees as my Maverick showed temps only up to 215 degrees after the second hour. The temps did rise to between 225-230 once setting to the 250 mark on the smoker temp knob.  Four more hours at that temp setting for a total of six hours.  Could have maybe stayed in for another 30-45 min for a bit more of a fall off the bone texture.  My ribs were pretty tender w/good bark but still a little chewy around the bone.

The temps never did rise above 230 degrees even though my knob selector was set for 250.  That surprised me a little that the temp would never get above 230 degrees.  230 is perfect for me but not sure why the smoker temp would not have raised above 230 degrees at some point.  I have ordered the PID but it was back-ordered so maybe that will make the asked for temp and actual inside temp to be more closely aligned in the future. 

By the way, I have personally spoken with Steve the owner twice (once prior to ordering and once after receiving the shipment) and he seems to be one of the most responsive people I've ever talked to.  What a great representative and ambassador he is for his company!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:40:19 AM by Big Red Home Smoker »
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

mnsmoker

Re: New Owner/Member and 1st Smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum sounds like a pretty successful first outing, with the addition of the Auber you'll be amazed at the performance of your smoker if you can I would go with the fixed probe and bypass, the whole job takes maybe an hour there are several good posts on the forum with detailed instructions on how to do this and it truly takes this smoker to another level, I did these mods shortly after I got mine and have never looked back, as far as value and performance these smokers are at the top of the industry...goodluck and happy smokin!!
Jim from Minnesota

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
Thanks mnsmoker.  Not exactly sure what you mean by a fixed probe and bypass but assume you are talking about a way to mount the Auber internal probe for the temperature inside the smoker.  I'll have to look at the posts to get some more detail.  Do you know if anyone has provided an attachment or documentation that can be printed off showing the specific detail of how to do this?  Thanks again.......
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
Welcome, Red!  If you get a chance, give us a first name and where you hale from in your signature line!  We're kind of informal around here, and like to know our new friends.

Some of the internal temps you may have been seeing could have been caused by probe placement, and the normal temperature swings you get with the analog controller.  Unless you were staring at the temp the entire time, I would bet that it occasionally went above the set point.  The swings generally go above and below, but average-out to the set temp.  Nature of the beast with a rheostat controller.

Before adding the Auber, I recommend spending some quality time over at the "Auber Tips and Tricks" section of the forum.  There is an incredible amount of trial and error knowledge there.  We've gone through all the growing pains, so you won't have to.  There are several instructional posts on everything you'll need.  Look through there, and then hit us with any questions!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 11:42:55 PM »
Hey Big Red, welcome to the forum. Great choice with the #3, it truly is a phenomenal unit. You will not be disappointed.

I agree with Jim, adding the PID controller will take your smoker to another level. I don't have one yet, but I do plan on getting one in the near future. But I also have never had an issue maintaining a consistent temperature in my smoker.

Have fun with your new hobby and we are all here to support each other.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
Thanks for the input to both Tony and.............Tony.  My name is Terry and I'm from Omaha.  The Big Red part of my user name name is just my way of staying true to our Nebraska football team.....Go Big Red!  I look forward to being part of the Smokin-It brotherhood.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
My ribs were pretty tender w/good bark but still a little chewy around the bone.

That sounds like a perfect rib to me. I don't want to have to tug on it like a cave man nor do I want it to fall apart.

Omaha is a great place to live, I spent a few years there, enjoy your smoker.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
Nice to meet you, Terry!  I lived in Papillion for 4 yrs, while stationed at Offutt AFB.  Great place, but COLD winters!  I suspected you were Nebraskan, just wasn't sure where. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!