Author Topic: Storing the smoker indoors when not in use  (Read 3124 times)

Dachstein

Storing the smoker indoors when not in use
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
I live in an apartment complex and have no garage or anyplace outdoors to store anything.   I was thinking I'd use this smoker in the courtyard, clean it, and store it indoors when not in use.  Will it get too dirty/smelly?   I don't want my apartment to smell like a smokehouse.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Storing the smoker indoors when not in use
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »
It really doesn't get that dirty on the outside, but even with only a little hole on the top and a cover on, I would think you would still get some smoke smell by leaving it in the house.

I have my Big Chief in the house and the smell is not overwhelming. But it is there. I don't mind the occasional wiff of smoke smell though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »
I keep my #2 on the deck outside with a cover.  I only notice smoke smell when I open the door.   You might be OK in the early stages of smoking to keep it inside, but over time as the smoke builds up, you might begin to notice a smoky smell.   You might want to try cleaning it out on the inside periodically to cut down on the smell.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »
I store mine with a cover, under a covered porch.  With the cover on, I don't smell it.  Inside an apartment might be a different story.  I think, if you remove/wash the drip pan and shelves, wipe down the inside, and use a cover, you should be okay.  Besides, I'd rather have a little Q wood smoke odor than any fru-fru so-called "odorizers!" ;)   
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Yes you will smell it over time. I store mine in an attached garage with a week between smokes and the door opened up several times and so on... Each morning when I wake up one can smell the smoke but more so the "coking" buildup of fat, grease, etc.

Not a bad thing... But over time it would be rough in a living space in my opinion.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!