Author Topic: Cleaning the racks  (Read 20488 times)

Barrel99

Re: Cleaning the racks
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:24:21 PM »
#3 racks much to large for my dishwasher.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »
My #3 racks just barely fit in mine. They stick out a bit in the front, but when I close the door they slide up on the door a little.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
I can't fit my #2 racks in my dishwasher, so they get a hand wash with a brush.   The side racks, though, do fit in my dishwasher, and I give them a washing about once a month.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
Model 4 racks will fit in my dishwasher, they just don't come out 100% clean. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

coachB

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »
I found the perfect size tub in Wallyworld's storage bin section.  It holds the #3 racks with about 1" extra on all sides.  Will hold all the racks soaking in some dishwashing detergent to soften the caked on particles for removal without a lot of work.  It was about $4.  By the time the smoker cools down I have usually lost interest in the idea of immediate cleanup.  By the time I get around to it (usually just before the next smoke) it is usually a PITA task.  This simplifies things a lot.  Soak and sponge wipe.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 07:25:17 AM »
Cleanup is really easy for me, I spray with pam and then smoke as normal.

Once the smoking is done, give to the better half to clean :)

Greg

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »
I found the perfect size tub in Wallyworld's storage bin section.  It holds the #3 racks with about 1" extra on all sides.  Will hold all the racks soaking in some dishwashing detergent to soften the caked on particles for removal without a lot of work.  It was about $4.  By the time the smoker cools down I have usually lost interest in the idea of immediate cleanup.  By the time I get around to it (usually just before the next smoke) it is usually a PITA task.  This simplifies things a lot.  Soak and sponge wipe.

Bill, I would love to see a pick of the container that you got. This sounds like a great idea.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Carp210

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »
I like to spray with Pam and when the cook is done soak grates to soften.  Last night I stood the grate up in the kitchen sink and put wet paper towels with hot water to help with the clean up.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

prudentsmoker

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
I have mentioned here before that I had great luck with Dollar Tree Awesome Grill and Oven cleaner. Regarding grills not fitting in the dishwasher- I could get the grills from my Oklahoma Joes to fit if I used an s-hook suspended from the top rack. It put it in at a 45 degree angle, but it did fit.
Brian from Wichita

coachB

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 07:11:31 PM »
Gregg,  update correction necessary on the Walmart storage tub.  I had not yet used it when I posted (got it yesterday).  I went to get the #'s off the unit and at the last minute decided to check it out before posting again.  The measurements listed were for the tub cover and it actually turned out the interior was 1/2" too short.  I brought it back and picked up a Rubbermaid underbed storage tub.  The dimensions are 29 x 18 x 6.  The racks fit fine in this one.  It is a dark gray color and the cost was just under $11.  It is a better unit than the Walmart house brand.  I was wrong on the original unit's cost too.  I bought several different tubs at the same time and had the prices confused.  The original unit was actually just under $6.

As far as pics,  I am a senior citizen dinosaur.  No smartphone.  No digital camera.  No idea how to post pics if I was able to take them. Not even very computer literate.  I can surf and do a letter,  but actually utilizing a computer's capabilities is totally foreign.  I was OK with the digital age through CD's, but when it hit MP3's they lost me.  When I was in college the only computer around was the university's, and it was a NYC block underground.  Today what a person carries in a notebook computer has more computing power than the university's did back then.  One of the problems of not having kids or grandkids to keep you up to date.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »
No problem. Thanks for the update.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

1stlink

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 12:16:02 PM »
Gregg, I copied the mortar tray idea from Dave's post. Home Depot has several sizes pretty cheap. I set mine in a seldom (almost never used as we use a shower) bathtub and soak with dish soap for a day or so. Drain & rinse, like new..  :)

Outdoors would be even better but not an option for me.  ???

RSNovi

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
I gave mine a quick scrubbing in the sink and let the dishwasher do the rest.  They came out clean!  My wsm racks never came out this clean.

That's how I do it too.  Works well.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

tsax6010

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
I usually try to remember to spray my racks with Pam first, but sometimes get so caught up in prep work that it slips my mind.

While researching ways to clean up my stainless steel grill grates I came across a lot of sites suggesting the same thing and gave it a try. Put grates in a large plastic garbage bag and add a cup or 2 of ammonia. Tie up the bag super tight - it is actually the ammonia gas that goes to work on the cooked on gunk. Put the bag out in your yard for at least 24 hours. For the most part the grates should just rinse clean.

I tried this with various stainless parts in my grill including grates and flame tamers and it worked wonders. Really stubborn spots I use Barkeepers Friend on.
- Dana
NE Ohio
Smokin-It Model 2, Lion Premium Grills L90000

Mr. D

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »
For my SI3 racks I use the dishwasher, easy button.