Author Topic: 49 day dry aged ribeye  (Read 14103 times)

Walt

Re: 49 day dry aged ribeye
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »
I'm anxiously awaiting your report!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

mnsmoker

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:27:07 AM »
Keeping up with Walt on this dry aging thing is starting to feel a bit like going out for a jog with an Olympic track star!!! LOL !!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:38 PM »
Great one, Jim - good luck with the race!  LoL.  With the meat prices skyrocketing like they are, the big whole steak cuts are about to be as much as a family vacation! ???   Your tournament may get costly pretty soon! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigfoot21075

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 10:17:56 AM »
Hi Walt,

I use the ageing bags as well and LOVE the results. I THINK I may be making a slight mistake though. After you age, do you trim the beef at all before slicing it? I have been trimming the darkest spots, but do try to trimming it all off. Am I robbing myself of some flavor by trimming?

Also, Costco carries prime full Ribeyes for the holiday season. just an FYI.....

Rob
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

Walt

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
I trim the rhind off.  However, i make a concerted effort to remove as little as possible but still get rid of, most of, the hard dark spots.  Some will remain in nooks & crannies, dont worry about that.  I have read that some dont trim @ all.  After the ribeye is steaked out, I remove the tails, as well.  If not, that solid piece of fat will cayse major flare-ups.

I have been getting my ribeyes from SAMS with good results.  No COSTCO near my area.

I hope this helps.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

mnsmoker

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
The next time I age a Ribeye, if prices ever come down, I'm going to slice and then trim, might make cutting through the rind  a bit easier.
Jim from Minnesota

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
Walt, you rock!!!! You ate 3 steaks.....assuming they were about the same 1lb size......3lb of meat????  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
I think there were 5 of us that night sampling the 3 steaks.  I probably could have done it by myself 20 years ago.  Maybe..... :-\
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »
The next time I age a Ribeye, if prices ever come down, I'm going to slice and then trim, might make cutting through the rind  a bit easier.

I want to try this, too, if the bulk ribeyes ever come back to earth on price!  I think trimming, after slicing, would be SO much easier!  Even with a sharp knife, trimming that rind will definitely break a sweat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »
Finished another 50 day today for my father inlaws birthday dinner. Cant remember the original weight but after 50 days it was 13lbs even. I steaked it out then removed the tails.The tails weighed in at 2lbs 13oz. After steaking it out I then shaved a thin layer off as mentioned above by Jim & Tony.  Worked well & will probably do it that way again. Shavings were 9oz. Tails & shavings cubed up & bagged for dog treats. I got 12 nice steaks, averageing about 13oz each, from this run. Typically, the average cost per steak is $10-$12 eack. Not bad considering it would cost you about $40 in a resturant. Enjoy the pictures below.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:26:34 PM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »
Wow ........................this is something that ....really .... is not my cup of tea  >
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
Wow ........................this is something that ....really .... is not my cup of tea  >

If you don't like steak, you wouldn't.  If you do like steak, and have never had a dry-aged steak, you should withhold your judgment until trying one.  Indescribably wonderful.  Not that you should dry-age one yourself, but go buy a $40-50 dry-aged steak at a good steakhouse, and you'll see.
Tony from NW Arkansas