Author Topic: Converting to 220V  (Read 3107 times)

The_Mexicutioner

Converting to 220V
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:35:33 AM »
So I've had my #3 for almost 2 years and it has been flawless thus far.  I just recently moved to the UK on military orders and I had a tough decision to make...Do I put my #3 in storage like the rest of my large 120V appliances, or, do I take it with and modify it once I'm there.  Well, I couldn't part ways with it and it should arrive here in late April or early May with the rest of my stuff.  I have two objectives for my mods: 1. Replace the heating element with a 220V version that is relatively plug and play, and, 2. Enable my smoker to reach 350 degrees (for smoking poultry at higher temps).  Steve gave me some advice and said that the Auber PID would allow the #3 to get to 350 degrees pretty easily so I'm thinking of going that route and just bypassing the analog thermostat.  The Auber works with 220V as well so no worries there.  My question is, should I stick with a 1200W heating element or should I go with something a bit larger?  Perhaps a 1500W or 2000W element.  Also, the only 220V heating elements I've been able to find on Amazon are made of stainless steel such as this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZLHKZ2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=8F9XHP2S6WME&coliid=I3U4QVVTYFWWGA or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZLF5C2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=8F9XHP2S6WME&coliid=I1KIVBTZPOWZW0.  Would these work any different than the black ones that come stock with our smokers?  I've got quite a bit of time to plan this mod but I would appreciate any tips that could help make this bad boy the envy of my neighborhood.

Pablo

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Converting to 220V
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 01:38:01 AM »
I doubt that they will work any differently. Aside from the appearance and the voltage, they generate heat through resistance. I think you will be fine. I would however ensure that the wiring is changed out so that it too is compliant with 220vac.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

GeeBee

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
Also, make sure the Auber you have/get will handle the projected wattage.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

The_Mexicutioner

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:06 PM »
Sarge, thanks for the tip about replacing the wiring.  I hadn't thought of that but it's definitely something that should be done.

GeeBee, I was going to get the Auber WSD-1503CPH since it can handle 1800W.  The first Amazon link I posted directs to a 1600W heating element so I think that would work. 

Do you guys think 1600W would be overkill to achieve 350 degrees on a #3?  Steve said that my 1200W could reach it easily but I'd like to be able to get to temperature faster, even when there's tons of food in the smoker.

-Pablo

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »
Another 600 w surely would get to temp faster!  It's liking having overhead on a sound system - you won't need it all the time, but sure nice to have when you do.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

The_Mexicutioner

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »
Do you guys know what the heating elements length and width are in the #3?  I almost pulled the trigger without even considering if the darn thing would fit inside.  Rookie mistake.  I don't have my smoker yet as it is still on a ship headed this way but the dimensions on the website state that the inside depth is 20".  From memory, I know there was approximately 1" of clearance from the end of the element to the short side of the smoke box bracket, and then another inch or so from the bracket to the inside of the door.  That has me thinking that the heating element is approximately 18" but I'd like to verify before I place an order for the new element.  Good thing I stopped to think about things before I purchased the 28" element that was in my Amazon shopping cart.  Thanks for the help.

Pablo