Author Topic: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe  (Read 117202 times)

ChuckV309

Re: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2015, 02:10:16 PM »
For those that are having a hard time drilling their holes, I used the 1/2" and 7/16" (for different holes) drill bits from Dewalt.  They were the ones of the "Pilot point" series.  No small hole pre-drilling.  Went through like butter.  Bits were even used ones I already had.b  Took less than 5 seconds a hole.

Another suggestion I have is to test the temperature accuracy of the probe before you install it.  I didn't and have discovered it is off some, so I have to remove and calibrate the Auber for the probe.

Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Smokin-it #3 w/ auber and internal temp.
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

Chuck.  Central Illinois.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »
Another suggestion I have is to test the temperature accuracy of the probe before you install it.  I didn't and have discovered it is off some, so I have to remove and calibrate the Auber for the probe.
And how does one calibrate a probe?   :-\
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

ChuckV309

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2015, 01:48:52 PM »
As per auber:
Turn unit on and have probes in ice water and let temps stabilize.  If they don't read 32, the do the adjustment/calibration.
1.  Press and hold "set" button till "LCK" is displayed.
2.  Input code "155" with + or - buttons then press "set".
3.  The left window will show the parameter (SC1 = smoker temp probe, SC2= meat probe) and right window will show temperature adjustment (0 to begin with).
4.  If your smoker probe only went to 34 in the ice water, then you would adjust the (0) for SC1 to -2 by using the + or - keys.  If it read 30, then you would adjust to a +2.
5.  Press "set" to change to SC2 and adjust the same way if you meat probe did not read 32.
6.  Press "set" and "out" will be displayed on left and "100" on the right.  Leave it.
7.  Press "set" and "C-F" will be on the left and "F" should be on the right (F= Fahrenheit, and C= Celsius).
8.  Press "set" to return to the base temp probe screen showing temps from both probes.  If they were off, now they should read 32.

To find the full details go to pages 14-16 of the manual download.
http://auberins.com/images/Manual/WSD-1500GPH/WSD-1500GPH_v1.0.pdf

Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Smokin-it #3 w/ auber and internal temp.
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

Chuck.  Central Illinois.

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
WOW. Am using the same bits (new) and they. Are barely getting started after about 10 minutes of drilling.  Any suggestions?
Walt from TX but trapped in Central FL

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
Lay the drilling surface horizontal.  Take a center punch and hit it with a hammer on your drill spot.  Then pour a small pool of oil in the well made by the center punch. 

paidin

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
took me a half hour of drilling.  Then I turned the drill on high and punched through in 10 seconds.

Just go all out and git er done!
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
Going to try laying it flat to see if I can get more pressure on it. Have been using a concrete pillar as a backstop but still have the #2 vertical.
Probably should have mentioned that total time must be approaching 60mins. This is my third attempt - new bits and oil each time and all I get is a shallow hole. Great alloys.  >:(

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »
May I butt in?  Try either a cobalt or titanium bit and keep the rpms below 300. Like good Q, low and slow. You don't want to generate a lot of heat as the bit will dull quickly. HSS bits will also work, just go slow.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2015, 04:46:18 PM »
Thanks Sarge. Will try a cobalt bit. Should be able to find one quickly.
20+ mins. No joy. Off for another bit. Just hope the expense of installing the probe is less than 5X the cost of the probe.

paidin

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2015, 05:32:24 PM »
i kept my #4 standing up and pushed it up against the house to drill into it.  I used water to cool the bit.  I sharpened the bits when it got dull with a drill doctor I had sitting around but never used.

Like I said, I struggled for a half an hour.. or maybe it was an hour and a half, it was a loong time.  Then I just went high speed and punched through.  This was with cheap sears bits.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »
The permanent probe hole convinced me that I didn't need no stinking switch!   :o  I'll gladly unscrew the back panel if and when I ever have to go back to the OEM controller. 

paidin

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »
The exact same reason i did not install a switch. I just installed the thermal fuse and called it a day

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »
I spent a lot of time with cobalt bits (smaller size) and they were taking forever. I switched to some "quick start bits" with 135ยบ point and they really got things started good and tore through it quickly (seconds). I was using new bits each time too. Having the fine starting tip to really grab into metal helps get things started and tears through the stainless steel fast.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2015, 12:18:18 AM »
Until someone else speaks up, I'm still claiming record for most broken bits.

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
Tried titanium. Still no luck. Just going to run auto tne again so I can smoke a brisket tomorrow. Much quicker than multiple trips to get another bit or bits. Anyway I have had great results without the permanent placement for almost a year so will try again later.
BTW only one bit broken but two rendered no-op.