Author Topic: Space in the Model 3  (Read 7482 times)

Suya

Space in the Model 3
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
I had a 2012 MES 40 which I returned because of problems I had with it, but while it was working, I had a great New Year's eve party where I was able to do 8 racks of ribs. That has my wheels spinning for this summer. If I get an extra rack for the Model 3, could I potentially do 10 racks at once, or would that be overkill for the heating element? Not a deal breaker for me, so please be candid :D

bordercollie

Re: Space in the Model 3
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »
I had a 2012 MES 40 which I returned because of problems I had with it, but while it was working, I had a great New Year's eve party where I was able to do 8 racks of ribs. That has my wheels spinning for this summer. If I get an extra rack for the Model 3, could I potentially do 10 racks at once, or would that be overkill for the heating element? Not a deal breaker for me, so please be candid :D

Hi Suya.The #3 has a 1200 w element which is one thing I wanted and why I went for it . I smoked  5- 8 lb butts in it at Christmas  and could have done more but they were too tall for that many racks.( I used 2). At 185 internal temperature (IT) I put them in the tray and removed a shelf. That when I squirt with apple juice/rub mix.. It was so tender, after reaching 200 IT, that It about fell apart . In truth, a hunk fell on the garage floor- much to the puppies delight. :)   The shelves are long so I seriously doubt that you will need to cut the racks unless you are smoking an elephant and 3 or 4 racks per shelf would be my guess. I don't use the very top rack holder because I don't want to be in  so close to the top where the heavier smoke is exiting.
 This smoker is so well designed it put the disc  one I had several years ago to shame. This is a Cadillac and my disc one was a yugo.  No comparison.  :)   bordercollie

ratropia

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
Hi, I concur with bordercollie. I HAVE done 12 racks of St.Louis cut pork ribs sized 2.25 and down. (a standard size) on the 4 supplied racks in my #3 a few times. I do however rotate the top and bottom racks and the middle racks up and down throughout the cooking process after the first hour of good smoke. You should plan on experimenting with methods and DO document what you do/did so you remember what works and what did not.
I hope I don't get scolded for this next comment by the purists, but you can always finish ribs in foil or put a small cup of liquid in the smoker if you are not getting the results you are looking for. The smoke flavor from these units is remarkable. Super efficient in wood/smoke/flavor ratio if there is such a thing. The bottom line is getting the end results that pleases you and those eating!
Regards, Rick T.

sjesion

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »
When you cooked 12 racks at once what time and temp did you use?  I'm cooking ribs for Easter and would like to know.

Thanks,
Stan

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:40:36 AM »
I've done 8 racks of baby backs along with some chicken.  It will generate plenty of heat for a dozen racks, you might need to give them a little extra time, though.  You can finish in the oven, too.  Once they get a few hours of smoke there's nothing wrong with baking them.