Author Topic: Bark or no bark?  (Read 5520 times)

digger1978

Bark or no bark?
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
I ran out of the wood that came with my #1 and wanted to try something different.  The stores by my all have bark on the wood chunks while the wood that came with my unit was turned on a lathe with the bark removed.  What are the pros/cons to using bark?  Also if it is really dry, can I soak it a little bit or will you get a creosote taste with wet bark?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Bark or no bark?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
In general, I typically remove the bark as I have heard it can impart and off flavor/taste.

For as little wood that we go through with these efficient smokers, I would recommend getting some good smoking wood from a quality supplier rather than what is available via the big box stores. From what I have read here most of the big box store wood is kiln dried and too dry in general for our smokers. If you have some that you want to use to get rid of, some have soaked and/or placed the wood in foil packets with holes poked in it.

Here are some suppliers that have compiled:

I bought an extra bag of the hickory dowels and cherry from Smokin-It when I bought my smoker. So I am pretty well set on the basic two that many use. The hickory from SI is the best that I have used and I have tried 4-5 different kinds with my previous smokers. I may try some fruit woods at some point too.

I have been splitting my dowels and my cherry as the pieces for the most part are pretty big and splitting tends to let them burn more evenly. In order to do a split of say hickory and Cherry and keep the weight in the 2-3 ounce range you almost have to split them.

Most of the chunks that you will get in the big box stores as well as the suppliers that I listed above will still need to be split.

I have heard that either or maybe both Fruita Wood and Maine Grilling Woods have what they call a CookShack or an electric smoker cut that they can do if you ask for it. I don't see this special cut listed on their site unless I am just missing it.

Hopefully this helps.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:53:54 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »
No bark.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »
Much of the wood I've received from Fruitawood, and Maine Grilling Wood, has some bark.  From what I've read, bark can be a problem if a) it's not thoroughly cleaned (which both of these suppliers do), and b) it's too dry.  Much of the bad flavor from bark is actually what's on the bark, not the bark itself.  In my experience, it's almost impossible to find many fruit woods without some bark.  I've never noticed any difference in the taste of meat from quality wood with or without bark.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

digger1978

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
I appreciate everyones feedback.  I will have to get my hatchet out and try to shave the bark off.  I bought the wood from Cabela's so I don't if anyone on here has used their wood.  I guess I will have to try and see what happens.  If I get creosote or bitter flavor, I will use the above references and mail order some wood. 

On another note, I see the professionals using the log with bark in their large smokers.  I am guessing they are using the log for both heat and smoke while are units are electric.  Just curious how they don't get the creosote?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:52:44 PM by digger1978 »

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
Like Tony said, if it is quality wood that has been cleaned, the bark should not be a problem.

In my experience, my bags of wood with bark on it, a lot of the bark came off on its own in the bag. If it is really stuck on the wood, you could try using the hatchet to knowck it off or just giving it shot and using it with the bark on.

I haven't tried any wood with bark in my electric smoker, but I have used it in my propane smoker and do not remember any bad taste.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »
I never use the bark, just because I don't feel that it will do what I want. Throw that in the fireplace.

The stick burners don't really care since the wood burns completely at a higher temp than what we do.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

es1025

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
I used fruitawood with and without bark.  No issues.  The company provides excellent wood. BTW, the cherry wood is really good. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?