Author Topic: External Links  (Read 30832 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: External Links
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
Hey Bill, not the case at all (your examples).  As you have seen, we have a lot of external links posted for things like what you mentioned.  What you need to avoid are things like links to another person's writing that may not want you to post it, without their permission.  Also, direct links to competitor's forums/sites are not kosher.  For example, if you said "Here's a great article/sale/whatever on the CookShack site!", and then post a link to it...probably not cool.  Know what I mean?  This is a "manufacturer's" forum, so we have to be respectful of Steve's ability to use this as a marketing tool, and not an avenue to promote competitor's products.  Sound fair?

Hey Tony, I think so, just to make sure I have it. Just cannot post about other smokers from different sites. But, it is ok to post about products like slicers, or spice grinders. Also would be ok to say post your recipe for pork brine with your permission to answer someone question about a good brine? So before answering a persons question about a recipe would have to ask the person that posted the recipe if ok to re-post to answer a question or make a suggestion.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »
Bill, you are right about posting external links to competitor products.  As far as anything you find on our site, you do not need anyone's permission.  I was referring to, again, external (outside this site) links to other people's writings - they may not want it posted here, or material may be copyrighted.  Anything on here is fair game.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 01:24:41 AM »
Bill, you are right about posting external links to competitor products.  As far as anything you find on our site, you do not need anyone's permission.  I was referring to, again, external (outside this site) links to other people's writings - they may not want it posted here, or material may be copyrighted.  Anything on here is fair game.

OK thanks Tony, sorry for all the questions but do not want to do anything to get myself disbarred from this site. Finally received my insta salt #1 so will be trying the bacon soon. Will follow Brians recipe on how to do pork belly.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 07:19:04 PM »
Good luck with the bacon, Bill!  Don't worry about getting disbarred! LoL!  I'm pretty much the guy that would do that, and you'd have to do something pretty darn bad!  And besides, you've proven to be one of the great team members we wouldn't want to lose! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 12:39:07 AM »
Good luck with the bacon, Bill!  Don't worry about getting disbarred! LoL!  I'm pretty much the guy that would do that, and you'd have to do something pretty darn bad!  And besides, you've proven to be one of the great team members we wouldn't want to lose! :D

Thank-you for the complement, just remember to have great team members it requires a great team leader. And you are beyond a doubt a very fair leader. Have a great Friday and weekend my friend. Sure will be glad when we get some 70 degree weather. Am sick and tired of this mid 80 and low 90 degree crap.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
Over at the other forum, we have encouraged members to give credit where credit is due.....ex: if you find a interesting BBQ related article it is ok to copy it but please mention where you found it and who wrote it. Is that OK to do over here??
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Durangosmoker

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 01:30:46 PM »
Sorry, but I am a little confused.  I totally understand that this is a manufacturer's site, and so links to sites selling other smokers are not cool, and I get it that it is a copyright violation to copy someone's article from somewhere else and posting it on this site, whether attributed or not.  Where I get confused is if I find a brine recipe somewhere and want my fellow members to be able to try it.  I would think that by providing a link to the recipe, I am not violating any copyright because I have not published anyone else's work, just directed traffic to it.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
Eric, Smoke got it right.  If you find that brine recipe, copy and paste the recipe, and cite where you got it, but don't link directly to the page.  We really don't need to make too big a deal out of this - lots of "leeway" here.  I have linked to some amazingribs.com articles, but they're not a SI competitor site.

Here's the bottom line, guys, so we can put this to rest:  Use common sense.  Don't link to other manufacturer forums/websites.  Don't copy someone elses work and call it your own.  Other than that, we're pretty lenient.  If I see a link that's inappropriate, trust me, I'll let you know, which may be after I remove the link.

Thanks to all of you great team members here, I don't have to find myself in the "forum cop" role very often, at all!  We catch most of the spammers before they get in, and quickly get on the few that slip through the cracks.  Just have fun, like we've been doing, and don't sweat the rules so much!
Tony from NW Arkansas