Author Topic: Fruitawood "7-Year Bourbon Barrel Oak"  (Read 2668 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Fruitawood "7-Year Bourbon Barrel Oak"
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
I ordered 10 pounds of the Fruitawood bourbon barrel oak, and am trying it today on a pork butt.  This is not Jack Daniels oak, but is basically the same thing.  You can see the charred interior (and can smell the bourbon), and the aged look to the wood.  I couldn't find the JD chunks anywhere, but came across this at Fruitawood.  I use them for most of my wood, as the quality is always excellent.

This is a little more expensive than their standard white or red oak, but I thought it would be worth a try!  I've never done a pork butt with all oak, so I'll report the results!  I love oak on beef, and am guessing it will be quite good on the pork.  It smells great in the smoker now!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Fruitawood "7-Year Bourbon Barrel Oak"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:55:48 PM »
Update:  I've used this on beef and a pork butt so far.  Very good oak flavor!  You can smell the bourbon on the charred side of the wood, but I don't think it actually adds any flavor to the smoke (at least none that I can tell).  Bottom line:  Good stuff, and cheaper than the Jack Daniels product. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Fruitawood "7-Year Bourbon Barrel Oak"
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »
good to know, thanks for the reviews on it
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2