Author Topic: #Stand / Cart  (Read 5360 times)

jamiedolan

#Stand / Cart
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »
I just ordered the #3 and it shipped.  I would have got a #2 if it was in stock as I think that is all the room I need, but wanted to make sure I got this in time for christmas.

I was at over $800 as it was, so I didn't get a cart / stand.  I'm trying to figure out if I should have gotten a cart or if I should think about building one.

If I built one, I can probably just set this up near my grill is a basically stationary position and would just built a nice solid little stand with some treated lumber.

For those of you that use a #3 on the ground, do you wish you had a cart / stand for it?

If you purchased the stand, are you glad you spent the money on the metal stand that is made for the #3?

Thanks,

Jamie

Three Sons BBQ

Re: #Stand / Cart
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:28 PM »
Got the cart. I like the fact I was done after the purchase and not chasing other things like making a cart. The cart is fine, nice, adequate. It took about 45 minutes to assemble but I had a tole ranching issue if you will... Needed a few taps of a hammer to get things together. I like the fact it's stainless.

Obviously custom would be perfect because it would be exactly what you want ... No question. Considering I was getting the cover too I figured might as well get the cart with it. Shelves are okay. I think the space below is fine. Four new Rubbermaid containers hold everything I need. Wood, probes, Auber, recipes, gloves, you get my point.

I'd say this I would buy it again if I had to... But honestly considering quality I'd say $100 is a steal... $150 more appropriate... $200 kind of extreme ... But again I'd do it again. 
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

jamiedolan

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:20:56 PM »
Got the cart. I like the fact I was done after the purchase and not chasing other things like making a cart. The cart is fine, nice, adequate. It took about 45 minutes to assemble but I had a tole ranching issue if you will... Needed a few taps of a hammer to get things together. I like the fact it's stainless.

Obviously custom would be perfect because it would be exactly what you want ... No question. Considering I was getting the cover too I figured might as well get the cart with it. Shelves are okay. I think the space below is fine. Four new Rubbermaid containers hold everything I need. Wood, probes, Auber, recipes, gloves, you get my point.

I'd say this I would buy it again if I had to... But honestly considering quality I'd say $100 is a steal... $150 more appropriate... $200 kind of extreme ... But again I'd do it again.

Thanks very much for the info.  I'd still been undecided about this.  My dad did offer today to make a stand for me welded out of angle iron, so if he can do that with out too much trouble, I think I'll go with that option for now.  I think he might be able to get his hands on the angle iron for free.  If it doesn't work out well I can always resort to ordering the cart.

Thanks again for the feedback / comments.

Jamie

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »
There is a good looking homemade cart in the Model 2 section of the forum.  Should be easy enough to upsize it for the model 3 if you like the cabinet look.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
I am actually in process of designing my own cart since I want it to be exactly what I want. I do like the cart offered but not exactly what I want. I would make it out of wood if I didn't live in AZ since it is a killer on wood with the heat. Most likely it will be made from metal. Not decided yet.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:37:34 PM »
The stainless one offered is good.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »
I have the #3 and I don't have a cart and no regrets.  The smoker sits high enough off the ground for my liking, but that is just me.  If you have the option of making a customized unit, you can get creative and if that doesn't work out for you, you can always order one later.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Tom22510

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
I purchased the #3 smoker last year but did not purchase the stand for it because I thought that $199.99 was a little out of my budget for a stand so I went and bought two eight foot 2x4 and a half sheet of  1/2 inch plywood and built my own stand to the exact height I wanted it and it came out great, also I painted It and it looks very nice on my patio and I have $20.00 invested in the project.  Let see what do I want to spend for a stand, $20.00 and a little bit of my time or $199.99 plus shipping, let's think about this!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »
I purchased the #3 smoker last year but did not purchase the stand for it because I thought that $199.99 was a little out of my budget for a stand so I went and bought two eight foot 2x4 and a half sheet of  1/2 inch plywood and built my own stand to the exact height I wanted it and it came out great, also I painted It and it looks very nice on my patio and I have $20.00 invested in the project.  Let see what do I want to spend for a stand, $20.00 and a little bit of my time or $199.99 plus shipping, let's think about this!!

Have any pictures of your creation, Tom?  We'd love to see them!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:14 PM »
Post some pics please
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

puddle jumper

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
I went the same rout you did,,, I had all my lumber left over from when I built my house...
Snap a pic of it so we can see it.. 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
It almost sounds like we want a picture.....odd
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
Good catch, Ben!  Definitely a trend here! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!