Author Topic: Woods and Amounts  (Read 6969 times)

kymonopoly

Woods and Amounts
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
Just ordered a model #1 and I am curious as to how much wood is recommended?  Do you just go by trial and error? 

Also, besides the bags of wood here, where do you tend to buy your various flavors of wood?  Based on other posts here, Home Depot and Lowe's seem to cause problems for different reasons.  Also, for those using the Peterson Pucks, how many pucks would you recommend?  Thanks for the advice everyone.  I greatly appreciate it.

rajones19

Re: Woods and Amounts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
I definitely had the problem with the Home Depot woods (Char-Broil brand). After several major flare-ups and billowing white smoke, I found I can use those woods if I wrap it completely in foil, and poke about six holes in the foil with a paper clip. I got 6+ hours smoke out of a small piece of cherry in that way, leaving only a little charcoal in the foil when it was done.

Since then, I have purchased a couple packages of Pecan and Apple from a company in Fruita, Colorado. I used that over the weekend, without foil, and suffered no flare-ups whatsoever. A very small (about 2 oz) piece lasted over 4 hours. When the smoke petered out and I checked the woodbox, there was just a little pile of ash, and not a lump of any kind. Very efficient. General consensus is these smokers require very little wood, and my limited experience so far has proven it to be true.

Grimm5577

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
I would agree with the above about the store brand kiln dried wood. I was having flare up problems. I recently got wood from ebay, but I have also only heard good things about fruita.

gloksrule

• Bacon defines me,,Ronnie from OKC,OK
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »
if theres an ACE Hardware nearby check them out,they have a huge selection of wood and chips,,if not tell me and I can mail u some to try

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
Welcome, kymonopoly!  I have had great success with the hickory dowels from Smokin-It, as well as fruit wood chunks from Fruitawood.  Be advised, though, the Fruitawood chunks are big.  Most will need re-cutting to fit in your smoke box.  Maine Grilling Woods offers chunks cut to electric smoker size for no extra charge.  I'll be ordering my next batch from them.

As far as amounts, these units are very efficient.  Since your meat won't absorb much smoke after it reaches about 140-degrees internal, it doesn't take much wood.  You'll typically use about 2-3 oz for ribs & chicken, 5-6 oz. for larger cuts (Boston butt, brisket).  You'll be amazed at how well these enclosed cookers use the smoke.

I use the heck out of my #1, and have never had a bad result!  Just remember to season it per the instructions without any foil or food in it before cooking with it.

Be sure to post some pics of your first smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!