Author Topic: Newbie pork spare ribs first smoke  (Read 6193 times)

gvinson

Newbie pork spare ribs first smoke
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »
I just received my very first #3 smoker today.  I plan on seasoning it today or tomorrow and doing my first smoke on Saturday!  I plan on smoking 2 racks of pork spare ribs using the 3-2-1 method.  I will put on a rub the night before, then start the next day.

I will line the bottom of the smoker with foil with a drain hole and line the top of the smoke lid.

Should I wait for the smoker to warm up for about 1/2 hour first before putting the ribs in?  I will put them one of the racks and cook for 3 hours.  Then I plan on putting them in a aluminum pan with a 1/4" level of apple juice that is covered with foil and cook for another 2 hours.  Then I will remove the foil and put on some BBQ sauce and cook in the pan for another 1 hour.

I have some hickory chunks from Smokin-it.  How much should go into the smoking box?

Is there something I am missing or anything I should do different?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie pork spare ribs first smoke
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Sounds like a great plan ... the 3-2-1 method should work perfectly.  However, you want to put the ribs in the smoker before starting it.  These models do not require pre-heating.    When I do ribs, I set the temp for 225F and the my #2 is usually up to full temperature in about 30 minutes.   I use the Maverick therm to watch the temperature within the unit.   If you plan to do this, be aware that the temperature within the unit will vary by 20 degrees or so around your set temp of 225...not a problem, it should average out at 225!

As for the amount of wood, don't over do it.  I would try one of the dowels for the first smoke and then see if you get enough smoke from one to suit your taste; if not, you could add a bit more on your second smoke.  It really does not take much wood to get a lot of smokiness in the meat.   Another tidbit...you will see a lot of smoke coming out of the top in the first hour, and then it will taper off to almost nothing...don't worry, though, the wood is still smoking!

Good luck...let us know how you make out!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gvinson

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  I noticed on some of the other threads that you can just let the ribs cook for the duration without foiling them.  Do you put the ribs in the smoker with rub and a water pan in the bottom filled with apple juice and let them cook for 6 hours?  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
I always do babyback ribs and initially used the 2-2-1 method, which worked fine.   The last couple of times I smoked the ribs for 4 hours without peeking, then applied some BBQ for the last hour.  I like this method better in that the ribs have a nicer bark on them.     Give it a shot both ways and see which you/family prefer.

I have not yet tried the water pan, so that's on tap for my next session of ribs (probably Saturday).
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
I agree with swthorp, don't put too much wood for your first smoke. A little goes a long way and too much will ruin your first experience.  I also prefer to leave it unwrapped for the entire smoke, but it really is a personal preference with trial and error to see what works best for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:44:56 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »
Hey G, I started out trying to cook with the same methods we use in stick burners and "traditional" smokers, and found that they are just not necessary!  These cookers are very well-insulated and self-contained; they hold moisture in their enclosed environment!  I don't foil anything anymore, and the results are stellar (and easy!). 

Give your cold ribs a slather of yellow mustard, apply your rub, wrap them and put them in the fridge overnight to "get happy."  Don't add any additional rub when you take them out, just put about 2 - 2 1/2 oz of wood in the smoke box, put the cold ribs in the cold smoker and set the temp to 225.  I use a disposable aluminum "mini loaf pan" with apple juice or beer in it next to the smoke box (a soup can works, too).  It's that easy.  Give them a peek around 5 hours.  You can use a toothpick to see if the meat is tender and pulls away from the bone.

Follow this method, and you'll have beautiful, tender ribs - it's like pushing the "easy" button!  8)   The beauty of the Smokin-It units is simple, delicious BBQ!  Don't get stressed, and don't over-think your first smoke - just have some fun!

Let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
I am a newbie as well... and i have done babybacks (2-2-1) and spares (3-2-1) in my #2 ... both turned out great, but i am gonna try the water pan and no foil method that have been explained to you. trust me - your ribs will turn out marvelous...great smokers, keep the wood to a minimum ( 2 oz. of hickory is fine for my clan)
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

es1025

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
I was a 321 or 221 proponent but I recently saw the light. Baby backs 5 hours not peeking, spares 6 hours no peeking. The babies were the best ever.

you need about 2 oz of wood, the mini loaf pan with water or apple juice.

thru trial and error you get a better bark.

liberally sprinkle you favorite rub and wrap overnight. No more rub.

fire up the smoker to 225-230 and have a beverage, 5/6 hours later you will have awesome ribs.

Tony brought from the dark side.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
No, Ed, I think we brought you to the dark side - dark bark, that is! ;D   Mmm-mmm...loves me some good, dark, chewy bark!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!