Author Topic: This smokin-it wood safe to use?  (Read 4858 times)

Theslacker

This smokin-it wood safe to use?
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:44:03 PM »
Hi folks. I'm brand new to smoking and am very excited. I just got my #2 smoker today. I also ordered three bags of wood from smokin-it and have a question. I attached pictures- is the darkness on the wood mold? Something else? I also saw some spalting on the sugar maple chunks and thought I read not to smoke splayed wood. I just got these bags in today with my order and wanted to know if it's all kosher or if there's an issue. Thanks much!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:06:23 AM by Theslacker »
Aaron from Vermont
Beer brewing expert -  smoking newbie!

Grampy

Re: This smokin-it wood safe to use?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:52:24 AM »
Hi folks. I'm brand new to smoking and am very excited. I just got my #2 smoker today. I also ordered three bags of wood from smokin-it and have a question. I attached pictures- is the darkness on the wood mold? Something else? I also saw some spalting on the sugar maple chunks and thought I read not to smoke splayed wood. I just got these bags in today with my order and wanted to know if it's all kosher or if there's an issue. Thanks much!

That does look like you have encountered some some surface mold on the wood. You can sanitize the wood and still use it. Here is how:

#1 Dilute 1.5 ounces of white vinegar in 3 gallons of water. Be sure wood is completely covered by the vinegar/water soultion.

#2 Let the wood soak in the solution for a minimum of 2 minutes.

#3 Pour off the vinegar/water solution and let the wood air dry.

#4 Store the wood in an open cardboard box or open crate container in a cool location that is away from direct sunlight.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Theslacker

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »
Thanks Grampy for the advice. I'm slightly bummed about this  :-[
Aaron from Vermont

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »
How are you storing the wood? If you leave it in a plastic bag or container that can not breathe it will develop mold if there is very much moisture content in the wood. Some people vacuum seal their wood to protect it from mold. If you store it as I suggested you should not have any problems.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Theslacker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »
I just got the wood and my #2 in the mail yesterday - all purchased from smokin-it website. It arrived in sealed plastic bags. This is how the wood came to me unfortunately.
Aaron from Vermont

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:58:18 PM »
Hi Slacker, and welcome to the club!

Jimmy is right about the cleaning of the wood....unfortunately, it can happen.  I'd call Steve tomorrow, and let him know.  I don't think there's any big deal about the spalted wood, though.

Another great source of wood is www.smokinlicious.com.  Absolutely the best smoking wood I've ever seen, or used.  All heartwood (no bark), and the perfect moisture content for smoking (always stay away from the "big box" store wood...way too dry!

Now that you're here, how about adding a first name and town to your signature line?  We're pretty familiar, around here, and like to know our new family members!  Glad to have you with us!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Theslacker

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11:30 AM »
Thanks DivotMaker! Profile updated :)
Aaron from Vermont

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »
Good to meet you, Aaron!  Looking forward to your brewing posts!  I may have to create a home brew category! ;)   We have a few more here, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »
You paid for good wood.. And not cheap by any means.. You should have received good wood...
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Theslacker

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 08:31:32 AM »
Woods being sent back today. Thanks for the advice folks!
Aaron from Vermont

Dan9327

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »
Good to hear that they are switching it out for you. I'm new around here so I didn't want to rock the boat but I agree with the previous post of paid for good wood should have received such.

I will say the smokinlicious wood is outstanding. Ends up being a little cheaper then big box stores or even Amazon if you buy a big box for like 39 bucks. More wood then you could imagine and high quality. Only gripe may be pieces are a little to large but easily split with hatchet or chisel
Dan from Southern New Jersey
Novice guy with a 3D smoker

Theslacker

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »
I agree. Glad to be able to return it without much hassle.  I have some fruit wood coming from  fruitawood today but still need to replace that beech and oak so might give smokinlicious a try next for fun.
Aaron from Vermont