Author Topic: Maine Grilling woods  (Read 8369 times)

es1025

Maine Grilling woods
« on: August 31, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
I just reordered for the fall season. I purchased the three pack sampler (you can choose the three woods). I ordered 2 packs of apple wood and one cherry wood. Total cost 34.99 with free shipping. This is good quality wood and always burns very nice. I strongly recommend this company. Its cheaper to buy the three packs then individual packs.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

AlinMA

• Al
Re: Maine Grilling woods
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »
Ed....Check out Tony's post on Smokinlicous.....Higher quality wood less the bark.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:30:16 PM by AlinMA »
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »
MGW is good, and definitely has some woods that Smokinlicious doesn't, but I'm totally sold on the quality of Smokinlicious.  Night and day difference in the quality.  ...Sorry Ed - not trying to rain on your smoker. :(   I still have some MGW, but it is much dryer than the SL wood.  I bought hickory, maple and cherry, in a box of about 30 lbs, for the same price as what you paid for the MGW.  Give it a try, next time you need wood, and see if I'm wrong.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
The Mt Mesquite from Maine Grilling I like a lot.

The S. Licious woods are fine too, both need to be cut up a tad for our smokers.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

es1025

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
No offense taken, i like the small batches of wood. Everyone has there favorites. I have had nothing but great smokes with mgw.
Ed from Northern NJ

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »
I've used MGW for some time now and it smokes fine.   I am doing an inventory tonight to see which types of wood I need to replenish (I am thinking cherry, hickory and oak) and will go ahead and give smokinlicious (SL) a try out, although I do have some woods from MGW that I haven't even opened yet!   The pricing actually looks to be within a couple bucks...MGW sells a three bag combo for $34.00, and the middle of road double filet at SL appears to be about $34 as well.

Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
Hey Steve, I just ordered the double filet from smokinlicious woods the middle one listed at 2/3 cubic feet. The only problem you just get 2 types of wood. And I think that is the same at MGW as I looked at their site earlier but had already placed my order at SLW. I ordered the hickory and red oak was also going to get maple but was told just could order 2 types of wood in the large box.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:22:36 PM »
Interesting ... Tony said he ordered three types of wood, although he did go with the mega box.  Maybe that's the issue?

Ed--there is an order option on MGW for three different wood chunk bags, at $34.   You have to scroll through the options on their main page to find it.  This is the link:  http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/three-pack-poly.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:24:12 PM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 06:30:39 PM »
Interesting ... Tony said he ordered three types of wood, although he did go with the mega box.  Maybe that's the issue?

Ed--there is an order option on MGW for three different wood chunk bags, at $34.   You have to scroll through the options on their main page to find it.  This is the link:  http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/three-pack-poly.html

Hey Steve, yes if you order "The Serious Chunk Smoker" which is 1 cubic foot you get 3 choices. And really just did not need that much wood now.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

es1025

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
Steve
I ordered the three pack. I think its a great deal.
Ed from Northern NJ

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:49:54 PM »
Hey Ed what size are the packages of wood your ordered? I am still working on the wood I ordered from Steve when I purchased the #1.

es1025

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:31:23 AM »
Bill
I ordered 3 220 cubic inch packages. The 220 cubic inch bags are between 4-5 pounds.

It's called three pack poly saver.
Ed from Northern NJ

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »
The Mt Mesquite from Maine Grilling I like a lot.

The S. Licious woods are fine too, both need to be cut up a tad for our smokers.
X-2 THAT .
[I[I .............

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
Bill
I ordered 3 220 cubic inch packages. The 220 cubic inch bags are between 4-5 pounds.

It's called three pack poly saver.

Hey Ed, Seems like they have bark on their chunks? Also does it have a good bit of moisture containt?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
They do have bark on some chunks, but not all.   The wood I have used from MGW has been fine...don't know the moisture content, but I haven't had any problems.   Having said that, I am going to order some cherry/hickory from smokinlicious for comparison.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2