Author Topic: Mesquite ..................  (Read 9142 times)

smokeasaurus

Re: Mesquite ..................
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
I run a small hot mesquite fire in my off-sets. I have tried only mesquite this way and i have observed hardly any flavor from it...only heat. This is because the fire is burning clean and hot. I add fruit wood for smoke/flavor.

Electric Smokers smolder wood in a oxygen starved environment. Woods like mesquite and black walnut do not lend themselves to this type of smoker due to the harsh smoke they produce......I usually use a pc of hickory or oak and one pc of fruit, this will calm down the hickory/oak. Burn rate and the type of smoker will affect the tastes certain woods impart to your protiens.....imho......... :D
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:18 PM »
Interesting take on mesquite, Scott!  This is just another example of why wood smoke flavor is very subjective, just like any other spice.  I use mesquite a lot, on beef, and love it.  I almost always use it with a mix of hickory. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
Might be the wood but every time I use Mesquite on beef the meat tastes like it was soaked in kerosene. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

prudentsmoker

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
I too have seen numerous posts calling mesquite "heavy", there was even on on Jeff's blog titled Mesquite ruined my meat. On a side note- both Franklin and Joe's Kansas City, which to the uninitiated may be the two highest rated BBQ places in the US, use oak.
Brian from Wichita

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
Might be the wood but every time I use Mesquite on beef the meat tastes like it was soaked in kerosene.
LOL , .....................Soaked in Kerosene .
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
Lots of kerosene, er.. mesquite in west Texas and New Mexico; that's where I was introduced to it many moons ago.  I love the unique flavor of it, but easy to oversmoke, if not careful.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 11:15:34 PM »
We have a steakhouse down the mountain a ways that grills big thick rib-eyes over burning mesquite logs. I was a little apprehensive about the flavor when seeing the grill....however the mesquite was roaring clean with hardly any smoke and the steaks had a mellow flavor to em.  When Mesquite gets smokey though.....a little really goes a long ways.............

The moral of this rambling is wood flavor profiles are usually different when burning hot and clean vs smoldering/smoking........... just sayin   8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 01:32:02 AM »
I run a small hot mesquite fire in my off-sets. I have tried only mesquite this way and i have observed hardly any flavor from it...only heat. This is because the fire is burning clean and hot. I add fruit wood for smoke/flavor.

Electric Smokers smolder wood in a oxygen starved environment. Woods like mesquite and black walnut do not lend themselves to this type of smoker due to the harsh smoke they produce......I usually use a pc of hickory or oak and one pc of fruit, this will calm down the hickory/oak. Burn rate and the type of smoker will affect the tastes certain woods impart to your protiens.....imho......... :D

Hey Scott, I use oak/maple mix and love the flavor. Also learned from a Dinners-Drive-in and Dives show that Gates BBQ restaurant in K.C. uses oak/maple for all their smokes.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

smokeasaurus

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
Oak and maple sounds like a killer combo......and what makes it better I got plenty of both  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 03:47:23 AM »
Oak and maple sounds like a killer combo......and what makes it better I got plenty of both  8)

I think if you try it you will like it. I use it pretty much on all my smokes especially on brisket and pork butts. On Ribs is hickory and cherry, with either 1 or 2 kingsford briquets pending on my mood.  :D  ;)
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri