Author Topic: Wood After a Smoke  (Read 3867 times)

AlinMA

• Al
Wood After a Smoke
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
All feedback is welcome!
these are the results of 2 smokes.Both were for 6 hours at 235 degrees. the oak measured 20% moisture and The MGW was 13%. The Oak gave off highly visible for about 3 1/2 hours and the Apple was slightly less. From that point on I only saw smoke when the heating element was bringing the unit back to temperature.
Also it seems that I have a hot spot at the same location on both samples. My thought is to put the thickest chunk at this location.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

Grampy

Re: Wood After a Smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
Al, that looks normal to me. I have had about the same results with all of my smokes as well.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »
I don't know whether to think that the #1's are under powered or my #4 is over powered.  Unless I purposely try to hide wood in a corner, I always end up with ash and not charcoal. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »
Al, that looks normal to me. I have had about the same results with all of my smokes as well.
Jimmy, Thanks for the reply! Do you also have the "hot spot"?
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
I don't know whether to think that the #1's are under powered or my #4 is over powered.  Unless I purposely try to hide wood in a corner, I always end up with ash and not charcoal.
I don't think the SI#1 is under powered. when using the "Smoking Times, Temps. and wood as a guide...I'm right in the ballpark. Just a thought....do you know if the heating elements  are the same distance from the wood box on the different models?
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
I don't think the SI#1 is under powered. when using the "Smoking Times, Temps. and wood as a guide...I'm right in the ballpark. Just a thought....do you know if the heating elements  are the same distance from the wood box on the different models?

I find the 400 w element, in the #1, to work quite well, for the size of the smoker.  The higher wattage, in the other models, is only due to the length of the element, and the volume it has to heat.  I don't know about the #4 (yet), but the other models are the same distance between the element and smoke box floor.  I think seeing ash only, in the #4, makes perfect sense.  That big element gets really hot, during heat-up, so it stands to reason that the wood will burn faster.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:51:59 AM »
Hey Al, That looks like what I normally get in my #1. Have not really done any really long smokes in it. And now that I have the #3 that is where I will do most of my long smokes or cold smokes.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri