Author Topic: What about wood pellets?  (Read 3861 times)

Whidbey Rick

What about wood pellets?
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »
Was at a restaurant supply store today and saw a large selection of wood pellets. They had apple, alder, mesquite, oak, cherry and a few more. Cost was about $10.00 per 20 lb bag. What are your thoughts about using these pellets in an SI smoker?

Thanks
Rick

Whidbey Island, WA
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: What about wood pellets?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
You want to make sure the are just compressed wood with no binder additives. I have used Trager brand pellets with good results.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
Do a search on "pellets" - we've had some posts on them.  I, personally, am happy with chunks.  These smokers take so little wood, that 10 lbs of chunks will last a LONG time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

vetkilr

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
Ditto on the no fillers things. I just got black cherry wood pellets. They are great IMO. I put them in foil with a small hole and they smoke great.

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »
I would think the no filler pellets and wood chips would be great on shorter smokes,  but I stick to the larger chunks for longer smokes as they tend to produce smoke for a longer period of time.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
Agree, Bruce - chunks only, for me, on all smokes.  But, I also agree that the pellets or chips would be good for cold smoking.  When I cold smoke, I just split a chunk into thin slivers, and it works great (and don't need a chip screen).
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

prudentsmoker

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
I whole-heartedley agree with my new best friend DivotMaker. There is a tremendous cost savings if you cut your own wood.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
I whole-heartedley agree with my new best friend DivotMaker. There is a tremendous cost savings if you cut your own wood.

No doubt!  If you have access to some good smoking wood, cut it, clean it, and store it to season it!  If you don't, buying good smoking wood from a good source, like Fruitawood.com or mainegrillingwood.com, is the next best thing.  Even if you buy it, chunks are more affordable and last a LONG time.  Just split them smaller, when needed.
Tony from NW Arkansas