Author Topic: Started my first dry age steaks  (Read 8484 times)

dibiase

Started my first dry age steaks
« on: July 13, 2016, 07:58:32 PM »
I just have to say this forum and it's members are awesome. I found it looking for a new smoker but I got so much more than a great smoker. A few months with the 3D and some awesome smokes and now I'm dry aging my own steaks. I read almost every post in this section so I'm pretty confident it will go well. I'm going with ribeye and I'm going for about 30 days. My birthday is about 30 days a way so I figured would celebrate with some awesome steaks.

I've had dry aged steaks before at some nice steak houses and love them. The meat market I usually buy from does a 14 day dry age on their steaks and they do taste better than the grocery store but they charge $18 a pound.   I got the choice ribeye for under $9.  The UMAi bags aren't that much so I will come out way ahead.

Now the long wait begins.  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:59:00 AM by dibiase »
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Started my first dry age steaks
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
It's a great way to go, Chris!  Did you get a whole ribeye (primal cut), or individual sliced steaks?  The best way is the whole cut, since you have to trim the rind.  Then, when you slice the aged cut, the interior is perfect.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dibiase

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:56 AM »
I did buy the whole cut. 
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:19:57 AM »
I have the umai bags, but have yet to use them. I plan to go 45 days minimum with a whole ribeye. Maybe even more. Depends on your preference for earthy, mushroomy, beefy funk. I like pretty bold flavor. I think 45 days will not be overly funky for me.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »
I have found, the longer I have aged them the better they were. 45 is now my minimum 60 is my normal & 73 has been my high water mark so far but it was absurdly good. I might try longer soon.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
I have found, the longer I have aged them the better they were. 45 is now my minimum 60 is my normal & 73 has been my high water mark so far but it was absurdly good. I might try longer soon.

I'll try 60 days then.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

dibiase

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
I thought about going longer but I'm not sure I can hold out that long for my first one.  I think I'm going to stick with 30 for the first one and maybe progress from there.  Maybe, 30,45, then 60 to find what I like best.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »
I thought about going longer but I'm not sure I can hold out that long for my first one.  I think I'm going to stick with 30 for the first one and maybe progress from there.  Maybe, 30,45, then 60 to find what I like best.

I'm very patient. But sounds like you've got a birthday deadline!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

dibiase

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »
Well the results are in, I ended up aging for 34 days.  I have to say the results were amazing and I'm going to start aging another batch of steaks soon.  I might go with porterhouse next.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »
Not sure how I missed this, Chris!  How'd the steaks taste?  Pretty darn good, I bet! ;)   They look really good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

dibiase

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
They came out fantastic Tony.  My wife and I has some again this past weekend and I'm still blown away by how good they were.  I'm cutting the next batch this weekend.  Went with porterhouse steaks this time.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 06:59:01 PM »
Fantastic, Chris!  How do you plan to cut the Porterhouse?  Do you have a meat bandsaw, or meat hacksaw? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

dibiase

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »
I'm going to use a meat hacksaw,  not ready to pony up for a band-saw at this point.  I think I'd have to cut a lot of steaks to make that deal pay off.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 08:18:10 PM »
Yeah, Chris, a butcher's bandsaw would be pretty pricey for a few steaks!  I was just asking because I've know several guys that process a lot of deer and other game that have them.  I'd probably trim that sucker, pack in in a cooler, and take it to my local butcher shop to slice for me!  You'll get clean, uniform steaks, and they'll probably do it for free, if it's somewhere you buy from!
Tony from NW Arkansas

dibiase

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 10:58:51 AM »
I got them cut up this weekend but I can say I won't do it again with the hack saw.  It was a lot more work than I was expecting.  For now I think I will stick with rib-eye and new york strips going forward.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D