Author Topic: Mac & Cheese cook timing?  (Read 1945 times)

snakyjake

Mac & Cheese cook timing?
« on: September 04, 2020, 07:17:31 PM »
I have a pan of prepared (cold) macaroni and cheese that needs to get smoked.
I want to smoke at the same time I'm smoking for pulled pork (225°F).

When is the best time to add a pan of mac & cheese to be smoked?  Beginning or end of the cook?
For how much time?
Or the entire length of the cook (20+ hours)?

Other advice/tricks?

Thanks in advance.
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

mike1910

Re: Mac & Cheese cook timing?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
I’d probably smoke the pork butt to completion. Wrap in foil and towels put in a cooler. It will hold for 3-4 hours easy.  Then throw the Mac and cheese in the smoker until that’s done. Never done Mac and cheese in the smoker but wouldn’t think it would take more than a few hours? To me, that would be the easiest route.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Mac & Cheese cook timing?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Totally agree with Mike...  you can do Mac & Cheese in 2 hours or less which is a good rest time for the butt.

If you do them at the same time you're going to want to put the mac and cheese above the pork so it doesn't get slopped.  You're also going want to put it in at the beginning so that you have some good smoke.  This means two things:  You're going to open the smoker while the butt is cooking letting out heat, moisture, and smoke.  You're going to have mac and cheese getting cold for 10 hours.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...