Author Topic: Meat slicer opinions  (Read 15466 times)

mizzoufan

Re: Meat slicer opinions
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
I'm having issues with my Chef's Choice which might just be user error.  When I slice, the bottom side seems to slide down the blade instead of getting sliced so when I turn the chunk of meat over (about every 3 slices), there's a longer piece for the last 1/4" or so.  I tried freezing my last batch of bacon for about 2 hours before slicing to toughen up the outside in the hope that it would cut cleanly, but no dice.

Any suggestions?
Steven from KCMO

Donmac

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 01:43:48 PM »
I'm having issues with my Chef's Choice which might just be user error.  When I slice, the bottom side seems to slide down the blade instead of getting sliced so when I turn the chunk of meat over (about every 3 slices), there's a longer piece for the last 1/4" or so.  I tried freezing my last batch of bacon for about 2 hours before slicing to toughen up the outside in the hope that it would cut cleanly, but no dice.

Any suggestions?

I have been researching slicers to purchase and noticed that this is a common complaint on lots of models according to amazon reviews. I think they were calling it a "tail", but it was quite common.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
I have used a Rival electric slicer for decades and have the same annoyance. The tail as you call it is reserved for soups if I am slicing beef or if ham I use it in omelets. Sometimes the dogs benefit. I personally believe to get a perfect slice and no tail requires tighter tolerance in the slicer and a sizable outlay of money.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 03:40:27 AM »

Any suggestions?

Hey Steven, I have a question, are you making pork bellie bacon and if so where are you getting your pork bellies? Thanks, Bill
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

mizzoufan

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 09:17:40 AM »
Nope, buckboard.  I prefer the higher meat to fat ratio over belly bacon
Steven from KCMO

barrytm

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
Mizzoufan,  the problem is a design issue, IMO.  The carriage is too far away from the blade.  I have a similar problem when slicing bread.  The only solution for me it to put a wooden or plastic cutting board on the carriage of the slicer and put the item to be cut on the cutting board, then push the cutting board lightly up against the blade while you push the carriage forward.  That way you have support right near the blade.  To work, you want a cutting board that is long enough so that it is at least even with the blade when the carriage it as the rear most position.
#2 Analog.

McGarry

• Best Home Meat Slicer
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 03:01:43 AM »
I need know, which brand do you use and how long time do you use this device.
We know everything that comes out of a meat room to look and taste its best, which is why a Meat Grinder is the right choice for our operation.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »
The Rival I use is 30 or 35 years old. I bought it new.  No longer made but eBay has them. I run mine for about 20 minutes or so then let it rest while I package the meat. It is a small slicer but meats my needs.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

stout

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 11:28:14 AM »
i don't know if omacan and abamaster are or were the same company but this is the slicer i have or extremely close to it.. except mine was made by abamaster..

https://www.amazon.com/Omcan-250E-Commercial-Food-Slicer/dp/B0037B3Y3O

or someone else makes them for both companies and they label them for themselves
i have no idea

anyway it's an awesome slicer and similar ones can be found for less .. we use it all the time for meat and vegetables.. i've even used it to make potato chips....

for other vegetables.. it's great when you are having people over and want a large tray of fixins for hamburgers for example.. makes short work of lettuce tomatoes peppers whatever.

as for meat we usually use it for cold cuts as it's intended but we have also used it on meats where we just want nice even slices .. but not necessarily paper thin (which is how we love our cold cuts)

McGarry

• Best Home Meat Slicer
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 01:58:34 AM »
There are a lot of meat slicers with cheap price, which I am using and this is an electric meat slicer for one year. All the parts of this slicer include with stainless steel blade and everything can be removed easily.
http://pro-meat-grinder.com/best-meat-slicer/chefs-choice/609-premium-device
We know everything that comes out of a meat room to look and taste its best, which is why a Meat Grinder is the right choice for our operation.

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
I got this three years ago on Woot.com for $39.00 https://www.amazon.com/Waring-FS155AMZ-Professional-Slicer-Stainless/dp/B00HSBOVEU.  It's a good slicer for the price but I do wish I had a longer one for slicing my pork belly into bacon.  It's about 3 inches longer so I either cut the belly in half or I lift the end and feed it down in the blade.  Just used it today to slice a smoked tri tip into lunch meat
-Bob from Huntington Beach CA
 Smokin-It model #1
 Taking BBQ to the next level, also own the big Weber Summit

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
I've found the most important thing for me is how easy it is to clean. For a home slicer, it is an every now and then event. And if cleaning is a pain in the butt, then you are not going to use it. The commercial machines are great, but they can be a long, involved process to clean. You might be able to find them for a great price though. But if you just dread using it because your small job is not worth the time it takes to clean the slicer, then it is not useful. If it means I must go a little slower for the small slicing job I have on a less powerful, but easy to clean machine, then I'm happy to go slower.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:25:20 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide