Author Topic: Pork shoulder finally got everything right.  (Read 1782 times)

jclifton

Pork shoulder finally got everything right.
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
Did two pork shoulders last night and finally got everything exactly right.  This was the six time, once a month, that I did pork shoulders.  Couple things I've learned about my smoker.

• Water pan should diffidently be next to the wood box not above it.  I found if above grease droppings land in the pan and boil back off and taint the flavor of the meat.  My smoker came with that hanging flavor savor which is just not good.
  • I now make a little top for my water pan to keep the drippings out.
  • Apple and Cherry are both very good on pork
  • Experiment with rubs.  I've found I like a sweet rub that has heat behind it.
  • Finding the right rub and applying the correct amount makes you a genius!
  • You can't make a bad butt if you just follow the "Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork" instructions

And for those of you planning a smoke for a get together two 8 1/2 pound butts yielded 10 lbs, measured and bagged, of pulled pork.

Jason
On order:
SI 3.5D w/Big Red

jaka (Ken)

Re: Pork shoulder finally got everything right.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Beautiful. I've been getting ready for trying pulled pork for awhile. I bought a shoulder and am now ready to make it happen. How did you fabricate a cover for your moisture pans if I might ask....Ken
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.

Stevegardner

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »
I have never used a water pan when smoking anything. Aren’t these smokers pretty moist?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »
Steve, I just responed to that comment on another thread, not sure if it was you. I do not believe a water pan is necessary in an SI. If it makes folks feel better to do it then they should do it.

I smoke hundreds of pounds of meat in an Ole' Hickory SSG. The SSG is a fine smoker but not as moisture tight as a SI. I have never felt like I should run a water pan in the SSG and no longer do it in the SI at home.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Stevegardner

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:29:28 PM »
Yeah, that was me on the other thread. Thanks for clearing that up. I was just a bit confused. I had not heard of anybody using water pans with cookers like these. I do agree whole heartedly, folks should use the tools and means that work best for them.