Author Topic: First Time Smoke, Baby Back Ribs  (Read 2327 times)

nlr

First Time Smoke, Baby Back Ribs
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:16:25 AM »
Hey guys! let me start by thanking everyone for all of the great information in this forum. I got my #2 last week and did my first smoke ever on some baby back ribs. Most of them came out really good, but there were some 'dry' looking spots on the thicker part of the slab. I figured I would chronicle my preparation here to get some more experienced eyes on it so I can improve for the next smoke.

After reading over https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/last-meal-ribs and https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4412.0 I decided to mix suggestions from the two. I started out by removing the membrane from the ribs and salting them with kosher salt for the dry brine. After they sat in the fridge for a couple hours, I pulled them out and started adding the Memphis dust until I realized that I had forgotten to splash them with a little bit of water. I paused the rub application and sprinkled a small amount of water on both sides and rubbed it around a bit. Then I resumed applying the rub at 2 tablespoons per side as is suggested by Meathead.

I then prepped the smoker with foil, cut 2.3oz of hickory that came with the smoker (fancy wood hadn't arrived yet), and filled a mini loaf pan with apple juice a little over half way. The ribs had to be cut in 'half' as the whole slab would not fit on a single rack. Before I started the smoke I set up my TP-20 and attached a probe to the rack so I could watch the smoker temp as I was curious to see what the temperature would look like while cooking. With the temp set to 235 I went back into the house with my fancy temp receiver set to 235.

During the smoke the internal temperature of the smoker was rarely 235. It lived between ~233 and ~280 which had my monitor beeping at me every 20 minutes or so from the temp swings. I didn't really think much of it because I had read that the temp swings were normal. I guess it's just kind of futile to try and monitor the temp of the box except to make sure nothing extreme is happening.

After letting the box run for 4.5 hours with no peeking, I opened the door and did some toothpick testing. The smaller piece of the rack was near perfection, but the larger piece was a little bit tougher. However, to my novice eyes, I didn't think the larger piece would improve by leaving them in any longer so I went ahead and pulled both. The photo attached is what came out, we ate them and they were delicious! Although, I do agree with an assessment I read on here that the Memphis dust is good, but not very bold in flavor.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas of why the larger side is missing bark/moisture? And any pro tips to get it consistent on both the thin and thick ends? Thanks!

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
Re: First Time Smoke, Baby Back Ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum, my first smoke in my #2 was Baby Backs as well, I love me some pork ribs. I cannot give any expert advise as I am a green novice, but there is plenty of experience here, and they are most willing to help us green horns. Enjoy you new smoker. Mark
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »
I increase the sugar on Memphis Dust I find it improves the flavor.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
Welcome! And like pork belly mentioned, increased sugar will help with bark as well, which will bring one more flavor. You can also add spices you felt were missing to get some flavor pop.

Did you foil wrap and rest the ribs after pulling them? That foil wrap rest can do wonders on meat.

Enjoy your adventures!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

nlr

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably try some more experimenting at some point with the rub. I did not rest them this time, just went straight from the smoker to the table.

I did venture out and do a butt this weekend with the same rub and it turned out great!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
Welcome to the family from SE Arizona.  Ribs and butts are great eats!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus