Author Topic: Pork belly bahn mi  (Read 1366 times)

barelfly

Pork belly bahn mi
« on: November 21, 2018, 12:53:56 AM »
Made pork belly bahn mi this past Sunday,  Meatheads recipe I found on his site. Was the best bahn mi sandwich I have ever had. And I’ve had a few! Made with a spicy mayo, quick pickle veg and a few other toppings. Absolutely a must try!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Sirsmokesalot

Re: Pork belly bahn mi
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
Looks awesome!! Could you give directions on what you did with the belly as far as times, temp, rub and amount of wood? Looking to make one myself. Thanks ahead of time!
Jeff from Philadelphia, s1 owner and BBQ lover

barelfly

Re: Pork belly bahn mi
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
Of course.

First, chunk up the belly into 1” cubes. Then I rubbed with a five spice rub, brown sugar, ginger, S/P and let sit over night. Original recipe didnt call for overnight, but I was trying to prep so I didn’t have to do so much day of. In the morning, I used some silicon grill mats and placed the belly cubes on two racks and smoked at 225* for 2 hours. Next, all belly went into an aluminum foil pan and mixed with a glaze of honey, soy, rice vinegar and siracha. Back in smoker covered for 2 more hours. Then uncover and let the cubes crisp up for 30 minutes. I used a 3-4oz chunk of sugar maple and made a foil boat of sweet blend chips. This crisp up period, i upped the temp to 275. You could do this in the oven as well if you want more crisp, perhaps a quick minute or two under the broiler.

I served with fresh baguettes, quick pickle veg and jalepenos, cilantro and a spicy mayo.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear