Author Topic: Needing some help with ribs  (Read 3414 times)

shrews824

Needing some help with ribs
« on: October 02, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
Ok guys/gals. 

I'd like some advice if you all don't mind to throw your $0.02 in. 

I've had my #2 smoker for a little over 1 year.  I love it.  I love smoking on the thing every chance I get. 

Nearly everything I have smoked has turned out almost perfect.  The one thing that I'm struggling with however is my ribs.  I've done both spare ribs and baby backs a total of 11 times.  I've been keeping a journal of my smokes (yeah, I know I'm a dork) and I've noted that only 2 times have the ribs been to my liking.  I don't know what's going on.  I never can get them consistent.  They always seem a touch too dry. 

I've always smoked my ribs at 225.  I've tried the 3-2-1 method, the 2-2-1 method, the 2-2-0.5 method, and for the last several smokes I've just left the door closed and either smoked them anywhere from 3-5 hours at 225. 

I did a rack of baby backs this past Sunday and smoked them for 3 hours.  Pulled from smoker and wrapped with some sauce for about 30 minutes.  They turned out pretty well actually, but they were still just a smidgen dry. 

Am I missing something????  What's the secret to putting out some great ribs???  I love ribs and would really like to get them down pat.

Thanks in advance for responses and advice.

Scott 

Btw, these are the ribs I smoked Sunday.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

Jimeo

Re: Needing some help with ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
I’ve struggled with the same dilemma Scott and tried just about every variation as well with baby backs. Ribs by far have been the least consistent thing I’ve smoked, which has lead me to believe the quality of the meat is in play.  My preference is a rib somewhere between falling off the bone and pulling clean off the bone.  I thought I had dialed in the no peek method, 225 degrees for 5-6 hours, with results I liked but very hard to repeat consistently.  Last ribs I tried something new going 2/3, but these were too wet for my liking.  I’ll be following this to see others experience and suggestions.  By the way your ribs look pretty good to me, might be time for another attempt...😂
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:06:25 PM by Jimeo »
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

shrews824

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
I’ve struggled with the same dilemma Scott and tried just about every variation as well with baby backs. Ribs by far have been the least consistent thing I’ve smoked, which has lead me to believe the quality of the meat is in play.  My preference is a rib somewhere between falling off the bone and pulling clean off the bone.  I thought I had dialed in the no peek method, 225 degrees for 5-6 hours, with results I liked but very hard to repeat consistently.  Last ribs I tried something new going 2/3, but these were too wet for my liking.  I’ll be following this to see others experience and suggestions.  By the way your ribs look pretty good to me, might be time for another attempt...😂

Well thanks.  Like I mentioned, these weren't too bad.  The last 5 or 6 times I've tried ribs they were of the "no peek" method.  I add the little loaf pan of water and everything.  I guess it's just hit and miss with regards to ribs.  You may be correct in the fact that the cut of meat has something to do with it.  However, I wouldn't think it would be that inconsistent would it?  I don't know. 
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

es1025

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 04:24:07 PM »
I use the no peeky method at 235 degrees on babies. I smoke for 4:15 and check to make sure the meat has retracted from the bone. If that has happened I wrap for an hour. I would extend to 5:15 for st. Louis cut. I forgot you definitely need a water pan.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:46:16 AM by es1025 »
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

shrews824

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 04:57:50 PM »
I use the no peeky method at 235 degrees on babies. I smoke for 4:15 and check to make sure the meat has retracted from the bone. If that has happened I wrap for an hour. I would extend to 5:15 for st. Louis cut.

Appreciate the tip.  As I mentioned, I've tried times ranging from 3 hours to 5 hours using the no peek method and can never maintain any consistency.  The best ribs I have done were St. Louis cut and I smoked them for 4 hours at 225 with the no peek method.  They turned out perfect.  Juicy and moist with just the slightest "tug" when biting.  They looked perfect too.  The meat was pulled back off the bone about 1/2 inch.  Tried the same method about a month later.....  they were so dry and the meat was pulled back incredibly far.  They were almost inedible!!!! 

The picture of the baby backs from Sunday are a bit misleading.  The meat is pulled back off the bone significantly, however it was only noticeable on the underside.  These baby backs had quite a bit of meat on them so the overhang was very pronounced.   
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

Hank R

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
I have done Back ribs 4 times and I have had great results. I use apple wood 2.5 oz and a cup of Apple juice, so they do not dry out. At 225 for 4.5 hrs and no peak in my #1
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

shrews824

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »
I have done Back ribs 4 times and I have had great results. I use apple wood 2.5 oz and a cup of Apple juice, so they do not dry out. At 225 for 4.5 hrs and no peak in my #1

Well, I'm just going to keep throwing the racks in and hopefully I'll be able to produce some great ribs.  Thanks for all the advice everyone. 

Cheers.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

TX Gent

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
1. water pan  ...water pan ... water pan

3 hour smoke @215
2 hour glaze, wrap, back in @ 215
1 hour hold cool down wrapped
0 enjoy!

BTW I don't surface salt my ribs anymore as it does pull moisture out of the meat ... just the normal other spices

Works for us time after time

Good luck ...John
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

shrews824

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »
1. water pan  ...water pan ... water pan

3 hour smoke @215
2 hour glaze, wrap, back in @ 215
1 hour hold cool down wrapped
0 enjoy!

BTW I don't surface salt my ribs anymore as it does pull moisture out of the meat ... just the normal other spices

Works for us time after time

Good luck ...John

Cool.  I've never done just a 3-2 method before.  I'll have to try that.  I do put a little loaf pan in my smoker every time I smoke however.  Usually just water. 

Thanks.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2