Author Topic: 1st attempt spare ribs  (Read 4938 times)

smokinwannabee

1st attempt spare ribs
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:44:48 AM »
Any tips / suggestions as I prep for 1st rib smoke in 3D?  4 racks about 13 lbs.  In fridge with olive oil and rub overnight.  Approximate time?  Apple juice in smoker?  Spray periodically?   Thanks for anything you wish to throw my way.  Jeff
Jeff.  Colorado

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 1st attempt spare ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:36:32 AM »
Pretty much all you need is in this thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4412.0

The only difference is that spares usually take 1.0-1.5 hours longer than baby backs. So, you would need to move all the time estimates one hour earlier.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokinwannabee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »
Huge help Greg.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Hopefully have some tasty meats to start the weekend.  Once again a member comes through in the clutch.   Thanks
Jeff.  Colorado

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
Let us know how it goes. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokinwannabee

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »
Will do
Jeff.  Colorado

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
Hey Jeff, Greg's advice is right on the mark. Follow the directions and you will have some great ribs. No need for spraying or anything else. Sit back, enjoy family, and relax until they are done and then good eats!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

JackT

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 02:01:07 PM »
Hey Jeff, Greg's advice is right on the mark. Follow the directions and you will have some great ribs. No need for spraying or anything else. Sit back, enjoy family, and relax until they are done and then good eats!
I would agree with Bob, no need to spray during your smoke. You can place a bread pan size pan with apple juice or water right next to the smoke box. You really don't want to open the door until you are close to your finish time. If you've done all your prep ahead of time, and it sounds as though you have, just set it and let the #3 do it's job. Happy Smoking!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

smokinwannabee

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Thanks Jack & Bob.  Hardest part today is not looking.  Thinking someone needs to create a video inside the smoker - with smells - to pique the curiosity.  Started 9:45 today.  First look 4ish sound reasonable?
Jeff.  Colorado

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »
No spray, Jeff, keep the door closed.    When I do BB ribs, I allow 5.5 hours, and after 4.5 hours I remove them and apply BBQ sauce, then back into the #2 for the last hour.    Good luck, let us know how they turn out (pics welcomed)!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

smokinwannabee

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
Thanks Steve.  Pics if our daughter is around to help.  Not much of a tech guru. 
Jeff.  Colorado

smokinwannabee

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »
Ribs turned out pretty tasty and tender.  Would probably keep in smoker a bit longer next time and would add more than the 2.9 ounces of hickory to get a stronger smoke flavor.  The help from the forum certainly provided great advice and instructions for the first smoke.  Love the 3D - one of the best purchases / investments I have made in a long time. 
Jeff.  Colorado

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
Congrats on the first of many successful smokes!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

smokinwannabee

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 04:35:19 PM »
Thanks Steve.   The expert help from the forum and quality smoker have made my 1st pulled pork, chicken, and ribs all rather successful for a newbie.   
Jeff.  Colorado

smokinwannabee

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »
Trying some pics of the ribs.  Hopefully works.
Jeff.  Colorado

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »
Those look like some big meaty ribs. Probably would take toward the longer side of the time range.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide