Author Topic: "This Butt's For You"  (Read 7206 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

Re: "This Butt's For You"
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
Tony, my basic barbecue rub comes from Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Sauces Rubs and Marinades.  His books on grilling have been largely responsible for all the grilling (gas) I've done in the past... and for interesting me in smoking.  I was watching him on the TV program "Project Smoke" when I decided I really wanted to get a designated smoker. . .which led me to Smoking-It.  I'm loving this experience.  Probably Thursday, I'll make my 2nd attempt at smoking ribs.  I bought spare ribs at Piggly Wiggly ("The Pig") today, and will try to smoke them Thursday. . .using mustard with my rub!
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
Steve is a smart guy, Sue!  I like a lot of his stuff, too.  For a really good, off-the-shelf rub, that is fantastic on ribs, try Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  A lot of grocery stores carry it.  Unique, and has a great blend of sweet and heat.  I've made lots of homemade rubs, but this one is always my "go to," especially if I'm short on time.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »
Tony, my basic barbecue rub comes from Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Sauces Rubs and Marinades.  His books on grilling have been largely responsible for all the grilling (gas) I've done in the past... and for interesting me in smoking.  I was watching him on the TV program "Project Smoke" when I decided I really wanted to get a designated smoker. . .which led me to Smoking-It.  I'm loving this experience.  Probably Thursday, I'll make my 2nd attempt at smoking ribs.  I bought spare ribs at Piggly Wiggly ("The Pig") today, and will try to smoke them Thursday. . .using mustard with my rub!

I like Steven Raichlen too for information about BBQ and smoking. He comes from the perspective of a food writer and global historical researcher, and a more scientific approach. Congrats though on NOT purchasing the Bradley (one of his sponsors obviously) which he utilizes in his Project Smoke series. Maybe it's a fine smoker... but seems cheaply constructed, clunky, and don't like that you have to purchase hardwood pucks (seems like it uses a lot too!).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »

I like Steven Raichlen too for information about BBQ and smoking. He comes from the perspective of a food writer and global historical researcher, and a more scientific approach. Congrats though on NOT purchasing the Bradley (one of his sponsors obviously) which he utilizes in his Project Smoke series. Maybe it's a fine smoker... but seems cheaply constructed, clunky, and don't like that you have to purchase hardwood pucks (seems like it uses a lot too!).

+1!!  I almost pulled the trigger on one, before finding SI!  Glad I didn't, due to all the fire reports!  They're notorious for catching fire if the puck shoot clogs!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »

Kari, your evaluation of the Bradley is consistent with mine.  Not only did I view it as cheaply made and didn't like the hardwood pucks needed, I knew I needed a stainless steel smoker living as close as I do to the water/ocean.  Anything else will rust outside.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC