Author Topic: "This Butt's For You"  (Read 7205 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

"This Butt's For You"
« on: March 08, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »
I started this in response to Garth's message but here's the full story of smoking my 1st Boston Butt.

Friday I brined my 5.39lb butt exactly as suggested by DM. I also had difficulty determining how I was going to get it in the frig and it not leak overnight.  My solution:  I put it in 2 large trash bags in a big plastic container (pictures follow). I washed the brine off Sat. morning and  applied a heavy layer of my basic rub; also secured the meat with twine to hold it together.  4 7/8 oz. hickory and a pan of apple juice had already been placed in the smoker.  At 8:15 am, butt went in the smoker, placed one down from the top rack position.  Temp. was set at 235, and the probe was placed in the thickest part of the butt away from the bone, temp. set for 195.  At 11:15am, temp. was 142; by 5:15, it was 170.  I thought the butt would be finished by 6:30 or 7:00 pm.  My only real concern at this point was that 2 friends were coming at 5:30, and one of them had to be home for a business conference call at 8:00 pm.  Checked at 7:00 pm and the temp. was 179.  I decided to take it off and maybe try putting it on the grill to get the temp. higher.  However, when I removed it, everybody thought it looked done.  So I cut into it, and what a pleasant surprise. . .it was indeed done with a great crust.  It was also juicy and the taste was terrific.  The guests raved about it.  My husband wondered why I would smoke it to 195  anyway.  He thought it could have been taken off sooner.  Comments, please!   
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: "This Butt's For You"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »
There really isn't anything wrong with sliced pork shoulder.  Tell your husband that 195 is what it takes to go from sliced pork roast with some texture to melt in your mouth pulled pork.  Nothing wrong with serving it either way. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:08:17 PM »
Sorry, wrong pictures of my butt!  I can't tell which attachments will show up until the message is posted.  I think I've found the three of the butt:  one in the frig, one before smoking, and one of the finished, cut butt.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »
Dave nailed it. I only take my butts to 175 if I am going to slice them, but 190 for pulling.

I haven't done it in awhile, but slicing a butt is a really nice change from pulled pork. I slice relatively the pieces relatively thin. They make awesome pork sandwiches are even better the next day either reheated or for a cold sandwich.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:01:21 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
Dave nailed it. I only take my butts to 170 if I am going to slice them, but 190 for pulling.

I haven't done it in awhile, but slicing a butt is a really nice change from pulled pork. I slice relatively the pieces relatively thin. They make awesome pork sandwiches are even better the next day either reheated or for a cold sandwich.

Thanks Gregg and Dave.  I feel so relieved.  I wonder if anyone else doesn't know this small but important piece of information re: smoking butt!  Actually, my husband suggested that I experiment next time and take it off at 170.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »
Check out the guide in this thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Correction to my last post, I usually take my butts to 175 as I have listed in this guide. But, I think it would be fine at 170 too if you have guests starting to climb the walls because they are hungry. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
FYI, if you are cooking a butt for people coming over LEAVE TIME for it to be done.

Pulled is better at 190.

Regardless of how long it takes to get to 190, also leave time to rest in a cooler.

Just view it was cooking WAY ahead of time and serving leftovers.  Hard concept to maybe master but it works

Even your fav Q joint just doesnt pull butts off the smoker for serving.  LOTS of room time wise to make sure they get happy.

Rule #1 dont rush it

Rule #2 its Q, dont rush it.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
FYI, I start all of my butts at 11:00PM-12:00AM the night before. If they get done early I have wrapped and rested in the cooler for up to 4 hours.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
FYI, if you are cooking a butt for people coming over LEAVE TIME for it to be done.

Pulled is better at 190.

Regardless of how long it takes to get to 190, also leave time to rest in a cooler.

Just view it was cooking WAY ahead of time and serving leftovers.  Hard concept to maybe master but it works

Even your fav Q joint just doesnt pull butts off the smoker for serving.  LOTS of room time wise to make sure they get happy.

Rule #1 dont rush it

Rule #2 its Q, dont rush it.

I wasn't smoking it for pulled pork but rather to be served in large chunks, like a roast.  According to Dave and Gregg, It was done at 179.  I probably will never smoke it for pulled pork for dinner.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
Sounds like you have the temp figured out for sliced/chunked, Susie!  One suggestion I would make would be to use a "binder" before applying your rub.  Plain old yellow mustard makes the BEST bark on pork (in my opinion), but olive oil (extra-virgin) works well, too.  If you don't use something to bind the rub to the meat, it will fall off as the meat starts to release juices.  Believe it or not, yellow mustard leaves absolutely no taste behind, but it sure makes your rub stick good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
Glad you reminded me, Tony.  I did used olive oil before applying the rub.  You've convinced me to try mustard  the next time. 

I may be buying some fresh St. Louis ribs next week and plan to smoke them the same day or the next day.  I don't recall whether you brine them or not.  Do you recommend brining all pork and chicken before smoking?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 07:17:41 PM »
Boston Butts, brisket, and chicken yes. Ribs, I don't thing it is really all that necessary or worth the trouble.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 07:23:26 PM »
Do you recommend brining all pork and chicken before smoking?

I've brined ribs, to see, and find it's not worth the effort.  I get the best results by applying mustard/rub the night before, wrap in plastic and let them get happy in the fridge overnight.  The salt in the rub, effectively, works on the protein at the surface of the meat and helps accomplish the same effect as liquid brining.

One more question - you didn't mention ingredients in your "basic rub;" does it contain any sugar?  Sugar, in the rub, plays a very important role in the formation of good bark on the meat.  Seasoning and or salt, alone, will never have the same result as a rub with brown sugar.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
Do you recommend brining all pork and chicken before smoking?

I've brined ribs, to see, and find it's not worth the effort.  I get the best results by applying mustard/rub the night before, wrap in plastic and let them get happy in the fridge overnight.  The salt in the rub, effectively, works on the protein at the surface of the meat and helps accomplish the same effect as liquid brining.

One more question - you didn't mention ingredients in your "basic rub;" does it contain any sugar?  Sugar, in the rub, plays a very important role in the formation of good bark on the meat.  Seasoning and or salt, alone, will never have the same result as a rub with brown sugar.

My basic rub does have brown sugar.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
Good deal, Susie!
Tony from NW Arkansas