Author Topic: Whole Spare Ribs Again  (Read 3902 times)

IRGoode

Whole Spare Ribs Again
« on: December 06, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
This is my second attempt at whole spares. First time they were good but salty. This time I went with just Famous Daves and skipped the Tonys. They were not salty but kinda bland for my taste. I think if I had saused them in the last 30 minutes they would have been better. Don't get me wrong, they were really good, i am just trying to get them as good as they can be.
Rubbed with Famous Daves, wrapped and fredgerate over night. Smoked at 225 with 3 oz cherry for 5.5 hours, no peek. Passed the toothpick test at that point, wrapped and rested for 30 min in aluminum foil. My wife and son thought they were good but I think they still need a little more flavor. I plan to try saucing them for the last 30 min on my next attempt. This is a very good smoker. Even when it is not perfect it is still really good.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Whole Spare Ribs Again
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »
I can't tell from the pics, but did you use a binder like mustard or oil? If not, I would the next time. You'll get a nice flavorful bark and get more rub on that way.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
I also sauce for the last 1 hour and 1/2 or so.

No need for foil.

If you want to foil, try honey/brown sugar for the last hour and 1/2 (meat side down).  Then BBQ sauce for the last 1/2 hour.

OR

Sear up on the gasser after you let the sauce on for awhile.   

Looks good, but I know what you mean by trying to get perfect.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »
Or sauce the ribs and put them on a cookie sheet and finish under the broiler in your oven. Way faster and easier to clean-up IMHO.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

IRGoode

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
Thanks John and Gregg for the input. I didn't realize I forgot the mustard until you asked that question Gregg. I used mustard on my first ribs but just put the rub on wet ribs this time. Mental note, don't forget the binder! That may have been my problem but I still plan to sause them next time.
John when you say honey/brown sugar, do you mean either or both and how much?
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »
3/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup br sugar. foil and put meat side down for an hour or two.

Do this step after 2 to 3 hours left alone in the smoker.

After this step, remove and cook meat up with sauce till done.

Experiment, everyone has their likes.   

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:27:52 PM »
It's always a "work in-progress," Bob...so much to smoke, so little time....work, work, work. ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
This is my second attempt at whole spares. First time they were good but salty. This time I went with just Famous Daves and skipped the Tonys. They were not salty but kinda bland for my taste. I think if I had saused them in the last 30 minutes they would have been better. Don't get me wrong, they were really good, i am just trying to get them as good as they can be.
Rubbed with Famous Daves, wrapped and fredgerate over night. Smoked at 225 with 3 oz cherry for 5.5 hours, no peek. Passed the toothpick test at that point, wrapped and rested for 30 min in aluminum foil. My wife and son thought they were good but I think they still need a little more flavor. I plan to try saucing them for the last 30 min on my next attempt. This is a very good smoker. Even when it is not perfect it is still really good.

Bob, do you recall the weight of these spare ribs?  Also have you done them since this post, and, if so, what was the outcome?  Inquiring minds want to know!
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

IRGoode

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
Sorry Sue, I just seen your post. I need to figure out how to get notified when someone responds to one of my posts a few months later.
I do sauce for the last 30 minutes. Much better IMO. I'm smoking 4 baby backs for Super Bowl Sunday. I will post my whole process and results soon.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!