Author Topic: What Am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 8667 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: What Am I Doing Wrong?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:32 PM »
Gene, I think part of your initial problem was the soaking/tenting/etc. of the wood.  I won't go into more detail, since you've ordered some really fine wood (Smokinlicious).  Be sure to measure your chunks!  3-4 oz for ribs, 6 oz for butts and briskets.  No soaking or anything - just put it in the box!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 10:58:39 PM »
Yep, original butt.  Maybe I'll just have to let it cure and wait 3 days before we eat from now on...just kidding!

Bill, ordered a mixture of sugar maple, hickory and wild cherry.  I have oak here so didn't need any of that.
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 11:02:27 PM »
That's the mix I got, Gene.  Great combo!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 11:59:12 PM »
Hey Gene, I think you will be pleased with that combo of wood. Now will share with you what my 1st Master Chief shared with me. He spent 22 years in USN and never was on board a ship. On his 1st duty station would request land sea duty sites. And when he would re-enlist would also put in his 3 requests for land sea duty stations, then would rotate back to the states. But, he said it worked for him. If I would have had a decent chief at my station in Jacksonville I too would have stayed in. Oh well water under the bridge. I am sure you was able to see a great many interesting places with your time served. I thank-you for your service.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SpottedCow

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »
Keep in mind that butts and shoulder can take a LOT of smoke. 7 oz of hickory/apple mix is usually what I do.

Brisket is another cut that can take a boatload of smoke.
#2 Owner. Little chief for cold smoking. Avid bow hunter.

Spotted cow.....Wisconsin's favorite beer available nowhere else.

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
Keep in mind that butts and shoulder can take a LOT of smoke. 7 oz of hickory/apple mix is usually what I do.

Brisket is another cut that can take a boatload of smoke.

Definitely, Kevin.  I usually stick with around 6 oz on those, but don't worry about 7.  Some folks have a much less tolerant taste for smoke than some of us, and use less.  Whatever works best for each, and the only way they'll know is to try!
Tony from NW Arkansas

damnfingers

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »
I received my wood from "smokinlicious" today...I think I over-ordered  ::) ...I'll be using this for the next 10 years.  But, on another note, what a difference between this and what I've been using.  I see now why my latest efforts have failed...this wood is moist and it actually smells like wood!   I think I'd just forgotten how moist the wood that came with the #2 was.   I can hardly wait to try it again now...but I have to wait until we get back from a bucket list trip to Mt Rushmore next week.

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »
I received my wood from "smokinlicious" today...I think I over-ordered  ::) ...I'll be using this for the next 10 years.  But, on another note, what a difference between this and what I've been using.  I see now why my latest efforts have failed...this wood is moist and it actually smells like wood!   I think I'd just forgotten how moist the wood that came with the #2 was.   I can hardly wait to try it again now...but I have to wait until we get back from a bucket list trip to Mt Rushmore next week.

Yeah, Gene, you can tell by the feel and smell how good it is.  I love it!  Have fun at Rushmore!  Great place to visit!  Be sure to get up to Custer State Park and see the buffalo, and try to see the Crazy Horse monument, too.  And, if you have time, Deadwood is a short trip from Rapid City - worth the trip!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:30 AM »
That is great motorcycle riding country, enjoy the scenery. You could smoke a slab of ribs to take along with you.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

hardpan

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 02:18:28 AM »
Hi Gene,
I had a similar issue with a pork butt, so I added another chunk of wood for the last 2 hours...  I got the taste i wanted on the first day after treating the meat like you did. Wrap in foil, towels, and store in an ice chest for an hour.
Hardpan
Hardpan

Mike from Livermore
Ranch outside of Fort McKavett tx

damnfingers

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 08:57:31 AM »
DivotMaker...gonna do all that PLUS we managed to book a room at the Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone for three days yesterday.  Retired life is great...no schedules (except those damned Dr appts!).

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »
DivotMaker...gonna do all that PLUS we managed to book a room at the Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone for three days yesterday.  Retired life is great...no schedules (except those damned Dr appts!).

Good for you, Gene!  Should be a great trip!  Take lots of pics to share with us, and try to find some good BBQ while you're there! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »

Dr. Appts are a mess especially if you use the V.A. My hematologist has me now every 2 months, was going for three and he decided he did not like some of my blood components so cut me back a little. At least still not having to do cemo and radiation. Have a save trip Gene.

damnfingers

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 08:31:16 PM »
Quick follow-up.  Back from vacation and tried to find a picnic shoulder to smoke but none available in the commissary...so I decided to do ribs instead.  Using my new wood from smokinlicious.com I smoked them in my #2 for two hours, brought them in, put rub and sauce on them, wrapped them in foil and put back in for another 3.5 hours.  When I took them out and opened them up, the meat was falling off the bones and the taste was finally "SMOKY" and delicious!  Definitely the "wood" had been my problem - thanks for all the help!

By the way, if you haven't been to Yellowstone, Deadwood, Custer, etc., put it on your bucket list and go!  It's amazing - and it makes me wonder how a buffalo would taste smoked in a #2?

elkins20

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
Buffalo is good smoked as is deer. If you do not like the wild taste, soak meat in 7-up or sprite for a couple of hours.