Author Topic: 1st Attempt at Pulled Pork  (Read 6802 times)

Grampy

1st Attempt at Pulled Pork
« on: May 25, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
I am attempting to smoke my 1st bone in 9.5 lb Boston Butt in my SI #2 today. I brined the butt in DivotMaker's pork brine for 13 hours. Covered it in mustard and then coated it with What's This Seasoning original rub. Put it on the smoker at midnight last night at 225 degrees with 6 oz of pecan wood. I anticipated it taking approximately 15 hours (1.5 hours per lb) to reach an internal temperature of 195. My timing was off, as it hit an IT of 196 degrees at noon today. (12 hours total cook time) Having family over for dinner but not until 5:00 p.m. this evening, so I double wrapped it in foil and have it sitting back in the smoker set at 140 degrees to hold until it is time to pull it and serve. I have seen several people mention on this forum that it is acceptable to hold a pork butt this way without any noticeable difference in the final product. I sure hope you are right!  :) I will post pictures and update again after I pull it out to serve.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: 1st Attempt at Pulled Pork
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:39:13 PM »
I am attempting to smoke my 1st bone in 9.5 lb Boston Butt in my SI #2 today. I brined the butt in DivotMaker's pork brine for 13 hours. Covered it in mustard and then coated it with What's This Seasoning original rub. Put it on the smoker at midnight last night at 225 degrees with 6 oz of pecan wood. I anticipated it taking approximately 15 hours (1.5 hours per lb) to reach an internal temperature of 195. My timing was off, as it hit an IT of 196 degrees at noon today. (12 hours total cook time) Having family over for dinner but not until 5:00 p.m. this evening, so I double wrapped it in foil and have it sitting back in the smoker set at 140 degrees to hold until it is time to pull it and serve. I have seen several people mention on this forum that it is acceptable to hold a pork butt this way without any noticeable difference in the final product. I sure hope you are right!  :) I will post pictures and update again after I pull it out to serve.

Jimmy,

This works and you will enjoy the results. I would still pull it 2 hours before dinner and place in a cooler lined with towels.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »
Congrats, Jimmy!  You're good to go, holding like that - I've done it a lot when they get done quicker than expected.  Sure better to get done early, and hold it, then take lots longer than expected and have to deal with hungry people because it's not done!  Take it out of the smoker about an hour before dinner, and put it in a cooler to rest.  The 140 hold will keep it "food safe," but it still needs to rest without heat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:48:29 PM »
Greg and Tony, thanks for that advice. I was wondering if I still needed to let it rest in a cooler since it will be holding in the smoker.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »
Greg and Tony, thanks for that advice. I was wondering if I still needed to let it rest in a cooler since it will be holding in the smoker.

Hey Jimmy,

Yes you want to let it rest and as Dave suggested 1 hour will work. I just have done this three times and have always gone with two hours. When I have checked the meat before pulling or slicing it is around 150-150 degrees.

Enjoy and post some photos.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
A 2 hour rest is good, but the job's really done in an hour, ime.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:20 PM »

Hey Dave,

I will give the 1 hour a shot next smoke my guess is that will be enough also.

Thanks Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »

Hey Dave,

Thanks Greg

You can call me "Dave," or you can call me "Ray," just don't call me late for dinner! ;) LOL!  Honest mistake, Greg!
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »

Hey Dave,

Thanks Greg

You can call me "Dave," or you can call me "Ray," just don't call me late for dinner! ;) LOL!  Honest mistake, Greg!

Hey Dave... I mean Tony :)

Boy my mixup at least made me laugh at myself.....

I agree call me whatever you like, but don't call me late for dinner.

+1

Greg
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:46:00 PM by gregbooras »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »
I will putting a brisket later tonight and I know it will finish early, so I will give it just one hour in the cooler!

Thanks Greg

es1025

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
Jimmy,
I have read to you keep a butt wrapped in foil resting in a cooler for 4 hours. I can tell you yesterday after a two hour rest, the meat was still very hot, i needed to use my thermal gloves to pull the meat.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Grampy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
Ok, the finished results were awesome! The butt was super moist and had great bark and flavor. The family really enjoyed it. I'l be doing it this way again. Thanks everybody for your helpful advice. Just one more reason I'm glad I joined the Smokin-It family.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 08:54:49 PM »
Ok, the finished results were awesome! The butt was super moist and had great bark and flavor. The family really enjoyed it. I'l be doing it this way again. Thanks everybody for your helpful advice. Just one more reason I'm glad I joined the Smokin-It family.

Jimmy,

Great looking bark on the pork and it looks juicy....

I can say is Smoke on!

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 11:22:24 PM »
Nice work Jimmy. It looks fantastic. Glad everyone enjoyed it.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

mizzoufan

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
That does look good.  For future reference, being done 2.5 hrs early is actually on target for me.  2 hours to rest and 30 mins to pull/serve.  I have let pork butts rest for the 5 hours it took me to cook ribs before pulling while the ribs were resting and serve both together so I'd say you're fine for up to 5 hours on rest time (still borderline too hot for bare hands when pulling).

-edit for grammar
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:51:40 AM by mizzoufan »
Steven from KCMO