Author Topic: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork  (Read 232264 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork
« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:13 AM »
Any reason why you shouldn't make this up and refrigerate a few a few days in advance ?
No problem making brine in advance. I usually make mine a day in advance so it's good and cold.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Smoky Dawg

• Glenn
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2018, 10:59:20 PM »
Good deal. Thanks
Glenn from the Smoky Mountains of East 10-E-C
SI Mo.#1 - Char-Griller Pro - Masterbuilt

Smoked_Up

« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2018, 11:41:24 PM »
this is probably a dumb question, but why the curing salt? I assume its important for health reasons maybe? and also is the instacure the only thing necessary when people say you have to cure it before you smoke it ie: jerky, fish? thanks. I am doing this brined pork butt as my second smoke ever. this weekend I am going to do my first smoke with some baby back ribs with the no peek technique.
Jack, from Delaware

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: July 10, 2018, 12:12:35 AM »
 No such thing as a dumb question on this forum. Curing salt can impart a fake smoke ring to the meat. The smoke ring is a thin penetration of the meat by a wood fired smoker that produces a pink ring just below the surface. No added flavor; just looks nice and traditional.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:08:26 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »
My daughter's birthday is tomorrow and I'll be smoking a 9.75lb BB.  The brine is ready to go and dinner is at 6PM. 

Any thoughts on when to start smoking?  I'm thinking perhaps midnight or 10PM?  I'm planning on brining for 12+- hrs using DivotMaker's recipe which might speed up cooking times a bit?  Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Chris
Madison, CT

Jimeo

« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2018, 08:58:28 AM »
I consistently see two hours per pound smoking at 225 degrees.  If it finishes earlier, it gets a longer rest double wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler.  Definitely don’t neglect the rest time when planning your smoke.  Good luck!
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
Thanks, Jim.  Do you typically brine them? 

Hey, I used to live in Smyrna and then in Mableton but now am in CT.  Glad to know you!
Chris
Madison, CT

Jimeo

« Reply #292 on: September 21, 2018, 09:28:12 AM »
You’ve gone yankee on us!  lol  Actually grew up outside nyc, now just a Dego in Dixie...😂 I always brine Chris and have never noticed a difference in cooking time because of.  I always plan on two hours/lb to be safe and allow enough rest time. 
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Smoked_Up

« Reply #293 on: September 21, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
so I still haven't done a my bb yet, I have everything ready to go and I am doing on sunday. what internal temp am I shooting for?, and what am I setting the smoker to? if I read divot right set the smoker on 190 and also set it for internal temp at 190? and so far I have made some good ribs, and the best damn wings I have every eaten. I soak the wings in siracha and lime over night, put a rub on them let them sit in the fridge for a while, smoke the wings for 2 hours and flash fry them for 4 min... lightly shake them in your favorite sauce and good god the depth of flavor is just, well you gotta just try em.
Jack, from Delaware

JustChillin

« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2018, 06:51:16 AM »
I have a #2 analog and set my smoker at 225 and smoke the butt to an internal temp of 190-195. Then rest it wrapped in foil in a cooler for 2-3 hours. They always come out great!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Smoked_Up

« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2018, 01:09:25 PM »
ok 225 sounds good to me unless there are more suggestions. 225 seems to be the go to temp
thanks for the reply
Jack, from Delaware

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2018, 12:55:54 PM »
Part of our hearts will always be in dixie! 

I can't catch a break... Last week I went to pull the BB from the brine and throw it into the smoker, when I noticed that the fridge thermometer was reading 56 degrees!  Rather than poison all of my daughter's friends, my wife convinced me to throw it out.   :-\

I'm trying again.  Tonight at midnight.  With an 8 pounder.  I hope it will be as juicy as the near-10 pounder promised to be.  Wish me luck! 

Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #297 on: October 01, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
Well this Boston Butt was a huge success!  We used DM's brine and 5.5 oz of Maple and Cherry.  The 8 pounder took every bit of 16 hours to cook but it was worth the wait!  We did see some very interesting temperature behavior that I want to share:

We had 4 temperature probes in it.  The food probe hit 190 after 12 hours, while the other three read around 168.  We decided to keep it cookin'.  The food probe eventually maxed out at 208 degrees, but within an hour the same food probe dropped 28 degrees to 180!  At the same time, the others started to rise.  It was wild. 

They just about all leveled out around 191 degrees, after 16 hours.  We wrapped it in foil, covered it with towels, and kept it in the cooler.  It was still pipin' hot when we shredded it 90 minutes later.

I am glad we left the butt in there for as long as we did because it was perfect.

I'm already thinking about the next one!  Thank you, DM and others, for providing such great info.

Here are some photos.
Chris
Madison, CT

Jimeo

« Reply #298 on: October 01, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
Congrats Chris, sounds like it turned out great.  You might want to check your probes with a boiling water test.  It’s also possible the one reading 190 early was against the bone or in a fat pocket???  Smoking butts never gets old, enjoy the next! 
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »
Yeah, you're probably right about the probe location. 

The interesting/cool thing was the quick 28 degree drop while the others were coming out of the stall.  It is making me think twice about trusting one single probe when doing this.

Hope you're well!
Chris
Chris
Madison, CT