Author Topic: OMG Jerky  (Read 6441 times)

Sum1

OMG Jerky
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:54:07 AM »
Hi all.

Years back I used to make jerky using a dehydrator and got the smoky notes from liquid smoke. That gave me good results, but now that I have the #1, I thought of experimenting with the full range of flavors it offers, and get the real smoky flavor, not the liquid one. Today I modifying an old recipe of mine, and adopted it to the smoker. Because it came out so amazingly good, I'm rushing to share it with the members of this forum.

A few quick notes off the bat.

1. Contrary to what practically everyone thinks about jerky, my jerky is THICK, CHEWY and somewhat MOIST. I don't particularly like the traditional dry, thin/ultra thin jerky. I like jerky you can sink your teeth into, one that has a crunch on the outside and is still soft on the inside. Hopefully, if you try my method, you will realize that this way is so much tastier than the typical jerky; it takes jerky to a new level.

I got the idea years ago, when watching a Food Network segment about J & J Czuchraj Meats, in Cleveland, OH. The segment is still on their website, http://www.jandjmeats.com. In it, Michael Symon virtually orgasms from their jerky, as being the best there is. Their secret, at least one of them, is that the cut is very thick. I ordered some of their jerky, and indeed some of it is excellent. Since then I’ve been cutting my jerky thick, and never looked back.

2. I don’t use curing salts and because the cut is thick and the inside remains fairly moist, it must be kept in the refrigerator. This isn’t a snack to take on trips that last for days on end. I suppose it’ll last a day or two outside of the fridge (can’t guaranty), but generally it should be kept in the fridge.

3. “The USDA current recommendation for making jerky safely is to heat meat to 160F (72C) before the dehydrating process. This step assures that any bacteria present will be destroyed by wet heat. … After heating to 160F, maintaining a constant dehydrator temperature of 130 to 140 F (54-60C) during the drying process is important because: the process must be enough to dry food before it spoils; and it must remove enough water that microorganisms are unable to grow” (Marianski, Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, p. 550-551). The book goes on the topic in great detail, and is highly recommended to all home meat producers.

I achieve this recommendation by first smoking the meat at 165F for several hours, and then dehydrating on 130-140F for several additional hours.

4. Use only a very small amount of wood (in this recipe: 1¼ oz), because the goal is to merely add smoke notes that will blend with all the other flavors, not overpower them.

Ok, on to the recipe.

Ingredients
4 p bottom round
1.25 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce, for a somewhat saltier jerky)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
4 Tbsp brown sugar

Wood: Apple and hickory work well. 1¼ oz.

Directions
NOTE THE I IMPROVED THIS RECIPE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!
1. Place the meat in the freeze for an hour or two. This will make it easier to cut uniform pieces.
2. Cut the meat into slices 0.5-0.75” thick. Don’t cut it thinner than 0.5", and thicker than 0.75” might be too thick. The width should be around 0.75” or somewhat wider, and the length doesn’t matter - as long as it’ll fit it your smoker/dehydrator.
3. Add the marinade ingredients into a large, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, mix well until all the salt and sugar dissolve, and allow to cool.
4. Add the meat to the cooled mixture, and marinade for 24 hours or so, mixing the meat at least once during that time.
5. When you are ready to smoke, pat the meat pieces dry with a paper towel. Do not wipe the pieces clean, you want to keep much of the seasoning on it. Just pat them dry and place on the smoker’s rack.
6. Add the wood to your smoker and smoke the meat on 165F for several hours. Remove to a dehydrator and set on 140F until ready.
Note: The total time of smoking + dehydrating should be around 6 hours. I have not yet experimented with the optimal timing, but you may divide the 6 hours thusly: 4 in the smoker 2 in the dehydrator, 3 hours in each, or 2 in the smoker and 4 in the dehydrator. I don't know which is the preferred method. This batch was 4.5 hours in the smoker and 2 in the dehydrator, and a few pieces were slightly too dry. The rest came out perfect, so I suspect that 4 in the smoker and 2 in the dehydrator is optimal, but you might want to experiment.
7. Remove the meat from the dehydrator and allow to cool on the rack.
8. Once cool, store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. I don't know how long it'll last in the fridge. This is so yummy that I eat it all up well before it has a chance to go bad.

If you use this recipe, I'd like to know how it came out and what's your opinion about it!

Attached is a photo of today's jerky.

Keep Calm
and Eat Jerky

Zvi
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:40:08 PM by Sum1 »
Zvi from Brooklyn

Mr.Ed

Re: OMG Jerky
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 08:54:35 AM »
Sounds good. I bet it doesn't last long.  :)

Add a vinegar marinade to your recipe and a heavy dose of cracked fresh roasted coriander and you have South African Biltong. In South Africa they use no smoke but when I do it I use a light smoke during the drying.
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

Sum1

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »
Yes! I've made Biltong several times in the past, but not in the smoker. Will try it in the future..
Zvi from Brooklyn

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »
Hi Zvi!  Your jerky looks great, but you and I totally disagree on a few points!  I cut my "thick" jerky at 1/4" - 3/8", but have never gone as thick as you do (but wouldn't be opposed to trying ;) ).  But, I'd like to add my 2¢ to your temps/techniques, if I may.

1.  First of all, your choice to not use curing salts is a big mistake, and should not be overlooked.  Yes, you can smoke meat to a state of "jerky," but it will not be safe longer than a few days in the fridge.  If you leave it out, at room temp, it will not be safe after about a day.  Cure kills botulism, plain and simple, which is what you risk with uncured jerky.  I understand what you're saying about this not being jerky that can stay out, but I strongly believe all dried meat should be cured for safety.  You see "Uncured" Canadian bacon, and jerky, in the stores, but they don't tell you they substitute celery powder for sodium nitrate!  It has as much nitrate as curing salt!

2.  If you prep properly, with a cure, you can throw the silly USDA guidelines out the window, where they belong!  160 actually cooks the meat, vs. drying it.  If meat is cured, you can smoke and dry it at 140 the whole time, safely!  The difference in the texture and taste is unbelievable!  Just a thought, as I've tried both ways, too. 

3.  Rather than a dehydrator, leave your jerky in the smoker and use a jerky fan.  The SI jerky fan works great, and is a good investment.

Zvi, I realize that this is more "dried steak" than what most would consider "jerky," and that's why I hope you realize my comments are meant for the population, en mass, so those that are wanting a simple jerky process don't consider this the "norm."  I bet your offerings are very tasty, as the pictures certainly suggest!  I stand fast in my recommendation to use a cure, though! ;)

I appreciate the detailed post - nice job!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Sum1

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 01:42:54 AM »
Hey Tony, sorry for the belated reply. It took me some time exploring the matter, and running another test today.

I have a few comments/replies.

1. You’re right about curing salts. Thanks to your comment, I spent a lot of time researching the topic, and the bottom line is that you’re right, they’re safe and should be used.

But I should point out that curing salts have not yet received a clean stamp of approval. For example, according to a 2006 study that reviewed 61 studies from 1985-2005,

"Evidence from case-control studies supported an association between nitrite and nitrosamine intake with gastric cancer but evidence was insufficient in relation to esophageal cancer”.
http://ecnis.openrepository.com/ecnis/handle/10146/25215

2. I’m not convinced that I *need* to use a curing salt on my jerky, especially that I don’t mind keeping the jerky in the fridge, I’m not sure that curing salts would allow my thick jerky to be left out of the fridge (would you know?), and I anyway consume the jerky within a few days. On the other hand, if I were to travel with the jerky unrefrigerated I would certainly need to use a curing salt.

3. For my purposes, the main reason to use curing salt in my jerky is flavor and appearance. I just made another batch, using Prague #1, and the meat looks and tastes a lot better. More on that later.

4. I haven’t tried smoking the jerky on 140F, but my jerky (first on 160F then 140F) is so damn good, that I’m not sure 140F would be any better. I can try though, one day.

5. As for the name ‘jerky' - I don’t see any reason not to call it jerky, just because it’s thicker than normal. To me, it’s an upgraded jerky, so much better than the thick one.

6. If I’ll start preparing jerky on a regular basis, I might purchase the fan. Good to know that it works great.

Thanks for the comments and feedback!

Zvi from Brooklyn

Sum1

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 01:52:52 AM »
I made another batch, with the following changes:

1. I added to the brine 1 TEASPOON Prague #1.
2. I smoked the jerk 2 hours, on 160F or so, and then dehydrated 2 hours, on 140F or so.

Otherwise, I followed the exact same method/recipe I wrote above.

The result is even better than the first batch! The curing salt left the meat red (without it, the meat is brown and less appearling) and with a more meaty flavor. 4 hours was perfect, there was no need to go for 6 hours.

This is probably the best jerky I've ever tasted. Spicy and well balanced, with lots of great flavors working harmoniously.

I'm attaching photos. Notice the redness of the meat, and the interior of the jerky.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:20:12 AM by Sum1 »
Zvi from Brooklyn

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
Looks Great Zvi!!!
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »
Wow!  That second batch, with the cure, looks fantastic, Zvi!  We may disagree on the importance (and reason) of curing salt, but you can see the result. 

If you research just about anything, you will find links to cancer!  Red meat, grilled meat, beer, smoked food, etc...  I live life to the fullest, eat what I enjoy, drink what I enjoy, and let the chips fall where they may!  Some of the "healthiest" eating/living people I know have fallen to cancer, and other diseases, so I'm not going to worry about cured jerky that gives me less nitrites than a big plate of celery! (True).

Keep using the cure for your jerky (no matter how thick it is, you can call it jerky ;) ), even if you haven't "bought into" the very real food safety reason.  We want you around a long time with us! :D

Oh, and get the fan - you will be so glad you did.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 09:36:05 PM »
+1!!!
I always refer my hippie friends to this page when they start lecturing me about nitrites. Not that I don't subscribe to many elements of the hippie lifestyle, have my own garden, try to reduce my consumer waste at every turn, nose-to-tail eating, but...you have to find balance, and the nitrites thing is one of the most overblown (and genius?) marketing campaigns created by the natural food companies and beansy-sproutsy food retailers. And having worked within the marketing profession my whole life, I don't want people to NOT enjoy delicious food (and risk their own safety) because of a greedy system of preying upon people's fears to make a buck.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
Great article by Ruhlman, Kari - thanks for posting!  I forgot about that one...nails it!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Mr.Ed

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
+1!!!
nd the nitrites thing is one of the most overblown (and genius?) marketing campaigns created by the natural food companies and beansy-sproutsy food retailers. And having worked within the marketing profession my whole life, I don't want people to NOT enjoy delicious food (and risk their own safety) because of a greedy system of preying upon people's fears to make a buck.

Agree 100%,  I have been using them for over 45 years.  The cool aid drinkers swallow the commercial health media propaganda hook line and sinker.   
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.