Author Topic: new Model #1...need advice  (Read 3760 times)

barelfly

Re: new Model #1...need advice
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »
Speaking of sales,

Just received an email this morning that the Signals WiFi model is 20% off. I don’t know if that was something you were looking at, but here is the link:

https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

nak

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »
Jeff and Jeremy,

Thanks for the info.

What would you use a 12" probe on?  I have no idea? Seems the longer the probe the thicker the meat. Wouldn't the 6" probe be long enough for anything?

Can you replace the air probe with a cooking probe? if so, what is the preferable length probe?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig from Sacramento

barelfly

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »
I don’t know what the replacement policy is but I have three 6” probes, two I purchased after as well as the ambient air probe that i use for my kettle and gasser at times. I don’t know what you would use a 12” probe on accept for large cuts of meat and going from the end to the middle. A 6” probe properly placed in anything, brisket, pork butt, rib roast, is going to work just fine.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

nak

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
Thanks Jeremy
Craig from Sacramento

Hoover

• Chris from Seattle
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »
Hey Craig - curious if you’ve done your first smoke yet and how it went!
Chris from Seattle
Smokin-it #2 (The Middle Kid)

nak

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
Hi Hoover,
Yes, my first smoke was salmon jerky. I messed up on the amount ( too much ) of curing salt. And too much salt in the liquid brine mixture.
I also smoked some rockfish at the same time.
The rockfish was super salty, the salmon not too bad, but left a weird after taste in my mouth. I figured it was the curing salt, so I tossed it. I did this without the jerky fan.

Smoked some beef jerky. Tried a salt and pepper recipe I found online.
This time it didn't have enough salt, and I over dried it. Next time I'll check it sooner. I put the temperature at 140 for two hours and then added the jerky fan for four hours.

I finally got a thermometer, so now I'll see how hot it's really is in the box.

Bought some whole chicken today, so looking for the recipe that was posted about soaking in brine.

I gotta keep working at this until I get it right. I notice that wood ( Smokinlicious ) only smoked for an hour at 140. The first time I put a 3 oz piece in and it was charcoal on the bottom and wood at the top. So the second time I split the wood chunks into slimmer pieces ( 2.75 oz ). It smoked for about an hour and it was charcoal at the end. So I don't know if this is normal or not. but, the beef jerky had smoke flavoring. I think if it had smoked longer, it might too much for me.

Thanks for inquiring,
Craig
Craig from Sacramento