Author Topic: circulation fan  (Read 6501 times)

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
circulation fan
« on: January 31, 2020, 05:49:57 PM »
Hello Smokin-It nation!

Thank you members for a great 2019,  we are working on some new projects for 2020.

I was wondering if any of the members has purchased and installed one of the Auber circulation fans on their smoker?   If so I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.   We are considering using this type of system on our Models 3.5,4 and 5 as standard equipment.  testing has shown temperatures to be more equal though out the cabinet will the smoker loaded.

We are also kicking around the idea of a double smoker to allow beef on one side and fish on the other.  Double controls and heating elements.   Working on a low cost cap for the top vent hole to prevent rain from entering the smoker box and a plug for the Bella smoke generator to be able to remove the generator and the screw in the plug

Your thoughts are always welcome !
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:47:01 AM by SmokinItInfo »

Limey

Re: circulation fan
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
I fear that you are in danger of over complicating a very simple and robust smoker that already works very well.
BTW a low cost cap for the top vent hole is call a wine cork, preferably one of the new plastic ones!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 10:16:07 PM »
I've done 50+ lbs of salmon in my #3 along with 100+ lbs of pork and beef. I bought a #1 for those very few occasions where I might want to do both fish and a pork/beef smoke the same day, and to take camping. Don't feel I need a dedicated fish smoker.
Don't think I would be interested in a 2 compartment smoker.  A commercial user might feel differently.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
 Here is my 3 cents:
I went to Auberins to see what the fan looks like and what it actually does. I can see it converting the smoker to a dehydrator as well as what I will call convection smoking.  But I saw a major problem.  The fan is zinc plated/coated steel.  I have not read on any forum, BBQ or whatever, where anything that is zinc coated is safe for food prep or cooking.  It outgassed when heated producing toxic fumes and the particulates can be deposited on food which by many accounts is poisonous. Also, acids from food should they drip on zinc degrades the coating which furthers the production of fumes.  I do not know what specific temperature is required for this to occur but one site suggested 392 degrees (far above what our smokers produce). I personally would not take the chance.  From the Auberins site:
4. Food-safe. Our circulation kit is food safe. The fan that goes inside the smoker is made of food-safe materials only, such as ZINC PLATED STEEL, aluminum, stainless steel, and food grade silicone. It does not contain any harmful volatile organic compounds from any paint or plastics. The motor and other components stay outside the smoker. The maximum operation temperature is 400°F, which is higher than the working temperature of the insulation material in most of the electric smokers on the market.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:38:12 PM »
I fear that you are in danger of over complicating a very simple and robust smoker that already works very well.
BTW a low cost cap for the top vent hole is call a wine cork, preferably one of the new plastic ones!

I am assuming (hoping) ??? that the low cost cap for the top vent hole is one that can be used "during" a smoke as opposed to storage where the wine cork would work great.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »
I love the idea of the circulation fan as long as you can assuage the issues that Dave brought up. I see a lot of benefits of the air circulation from Jerky, snack stick, sausage processing side of things as well as just providing a more stable temperature from top to bottom and front to back in the smoker.

I definitely have hot spots in my #3 and they are in the rear of my smoker. So, when I smoke a large batch of snack sticks, I have to constantly be rotating my trays from top to bottom and front to back to ensure even internal temperatures.

The double smoker doesn't really interest me too much. But, I can see for your larger more commercial models that it could be intriguing for some users.

And I am all in on the low cost cap for the top vent hole if as I mentioned in my previous post it is for use when smoking during rain and inclement weather conditions.

I love how you guys are constantly trying to improve your product. However, there is some value in what Limey said about not over-complicating the product. I think there just has to be a happy medium there and I think you guys have done a great job of doing that so far by keeping the basic analog units for those that love the basic no frills yet solid smoker while also including the new options in the D models.

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming. We love to hear what you guys are working on. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »
Sorry guys-read the original post too quickly. Obviously the wine cork is for storage only.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 05:36:11 PM »
Just seeing this. I have a 4 with 2 auber circulating fans. If I can be off assistance with testing let me know. For sure the temps are way more even top to bottom with a fan ... IIRC I was seeing the 3deg bottom to top delta :-)

Hello Smokin-It nation!

Thank you members for a great 2019,  we are working on some new projects for 2020.

I was wondering if any of the members has purchased and installed one of the Auber circulation fans on their smoker?   If so I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.   We are considering using this type of system on our Models 3.5,4 and 5 as standard equipment.  testing has shown temperatures to be more equal though out the cabinet will the smoker loaded.

We are also kicking around the idea of a double smoker to allow beef on one side and fish on the other.  Double controls and heating elements.   Working on a low cost cap for the top vent hole to prevent rain from entering the smoker box and a plug for the Bella smoke generator to be able to remove the generator and the screw in the plug

Your thoughts are always welcome !
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »
Jason

Thanks for your reply to our post concerning fans.   Because of the corona virus it has been a very slow process developing any new designs or products.  With that being said  we are awaiting delivery of the latest version of our model 6 smoker which has a circulation fan installed.  This will be our third protype.   The fan will draw from the lower part of the smoker and then push air out thru the top of the smoker box.  We expect delivery at the end of this month ( we hope)  I can post photos if anyone has interest.   If this works out we hope to offer this fan on models 5,4 and 3.5 down the road.

The Smokin-It Team

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 09:29:12 PM »
I'm betting your setup is very similar to this :-)
These were installed by auber.
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 01:28:08 PM »
Our fan will actually be mounted on the outside of the smoker to make it easy to do maintenance or repair.   The duct work will be located behind the back wall of the smoker with only a vent at the top and bottom of the smoker box.  I will post photos once we receive this latest Beta Model

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 08:13:43 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 11:06:10 AM »
Slick! Look forward to the pics.
Our fan will actually be mounted on the outside of the smoker to make it easy to do maintenance or repair.   The duct work will be located behind the back wall of the smoker with only a vent at the top and bottom of the smoker box.  I will post photos once we receive this latest Beta Model
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2023, 02:22:52 PM »
Curious if anything became of this fan idea.
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana