Author Topic: #3 Analog vs 3DW  (Read 1865 times)

Chromdome35

• Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
#3 Analog vs 3DW
« on: August 10, 2019, 11:47:20 AM »
I am seriously contemplating purchasing a #3, I am having a hard time deciding between the Analog or DW.  In the specs for the Analog, it states a maximum temp of 250 vs 325 on the DW. 

I've always smoked chicken at around 275 and will occasionally smoke brisket at 300 when I need it to be done faster than low and slow.

For those of you with the Analog, have you ever felt limited by the lower temp range?

Lonzinomaker

Re: #3 Analog vs 3DW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
I have an analog, don't miss the higher temps. But I also don't eat chicken skin.  The turkey breasts I have done turned out with fairly crispy skin.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 12:27:53 AM »
I'll copy my response here that I put in your welcome post...

Hey Chrome... welcome!

I used the #2 (analog) for a little over 2 years and have had the 3DW (digital) for ~4 months now.  The #2 is pretty much identical to the #3 except for the #3 being 7" deeper.

I've never done chicken, but I've done multiple turkeys in both.  In all honesty, I throw away the skin in both cases.  If I wanted to keep the skin I would, for either smoker, throw it into a really hot pre-heated oven for a few minutes to crisp it up after smoking it.  I would imagine you could do the same for chicken.

With the analogs you're going to get temperature swings as high as +/- 40 degrees.  However, there was never once that it ever mattered regardless of what I was hot smoking.  I did briskets, butts, loins, ribs, and much more in the #2 and loved it.  It really was the ultimate in simplicity and function of set it and forget it.  The 3DW actually requires more effort because you have to program the PID and a probe failure or mis-placement could have significant consequences whereas the analogs do not suffer in this way.  If I were starting from scratch with no smoker I'd probably get the #3.  I ended up with the 3DW because I got a deal on a barely used one that I just couldn't pass up.  :)

The #2 and #3 are both on sale at 10% off right now, by the way...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

LuvMyQ

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »
I have only had the 3DW.  I struggled with the pricing before I bought, but have never looked back.  I’m fact, it was my search to find something of more quality than the  Charbroil WiFi model that brought me to SI.   The highest I have smoked is at 275 and don’t do much poultry.  I have only programmed the PID beyond one phase once.  The big difference is the convenience.  In theory, I can start a smoke in the morning, and monitor and make adjustments while at work.  OK, and I am a little techy too.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement