Author Topic: Questions on how to smoke ribeye steaks  (Read 1528 times)

Hotlanta

Questions on how to smoke ribeye steaks
« on: October 12, 2020, 09:12:07 AM »
Hey guys, looking for some direction from the experts on smoking about six ribeye steaks on my #3.  I am a newbie at smoking. I have read through the forum to get some pointers.  Once I pull the steaks from the smoker, I plan to wrap in foil and let sit for 15 to 20 min and  then reverse sear.  However, I am confused on a few things:
- how many ounces of wood should I use?  I know it is a low amount.  I plan to use Cherry, Hickory or a combo of them.
- at what temp should I set the smoker
- if I want my final internal temp to be 135 degrees (high end of med rare), what internal temp should I remove the steak from the smoker

I appreciate the help.   This is for my son's birthday and he loves steaks.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:17:09 AM by Hotlanta »
Mike     
from Atlanta, GA

barelfly

Re: Questions on how to smoke ribeye steaks
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 09:55:25 AM »
Hey Mike,

I’ve never smoked ribeye steaks in the Smokin-it. But I do go low and slow with all steaks on my kettle grill. For your wood, maybe 2oz, but that’s really a personal preference. For temps, I usually aim for 225-250 for my cook temp and then pull the steaks when they get to 110-115, which gives me plenty of room for a great sear. When I sear, I flip it constantly to try and keep it from cooking the steak, only searing the outside. So, every 15-30 seconds usually does the trick and keeps the steaks from getting the grey bands.

One thing will add, i have smoked a handful of whole rib roasts (prime rib) in the Smokin-it. Were you going to use this method, or already cut steaks? But, either way, for the rib roasts, I do the same, low and slow, rest and then sear and it comes out wonderful.

Hope your son enjoys the steaks!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Hotlanta

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 10:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I am going to use already cut steaks and get thick ones.
Mike     
from Atlanta, GA

Hotlanta

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »
Jeremy, you said you pull the steaks at 110 - 115  degrees.    Was your final temp rare or med rare?  I am trying to determine at what temp I pull the steaks from the smoker for Med Rare.
Mike     
from Atlanta, GA

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 10:00:45 PM »
Yes, I pull closer to 115 and then I sear until 135.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
I run an analog so my set temp would be 175 to allow for the temp swings. Ideal would be dead on 200. I would use fresh chips or small pieces of wood to get good smoke in a short smoking time.

Salt the steaks on racks when they come out of the fridge. Allow the meat to come to room temperature. Place steaks in the smoker with a probe thermometer. I would set my smoker at 175, knowing it will swing into the 200 range. When the steaks reach 125 internal, return them to the rack an loosely cover them with foil. The steaks rest for 15 minutes.

If you have a quality gas grill that gets screaming hot great. If not you will need charcoal or cast iron. Most often I use my cast iron pans for searing. I place a couple skillets in the oven on 500 and let them preheat. When it is time to sear, move them up to the burners set on high.

After you flip to the second side of the steak, add a nice chunk of Amish butter and baste the steaks.
Remove steaks to the plates and serve immediately. You can them or tell by touch if they are you desired temp.

It is best to reverse sear thicker cuts. Thin steak does not do as well. I like at least 1.25 inches, 1.5 is better. A full 2 inches is not only impressive but does very well.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud