Author Topic: Hello from Iowa  (Read 1358 times)

HawkFan70

Hello from Iowa
« on: March 22, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »
My name is Chris and I'm from NE Iowa.  Just joined the forum this week as I've found that I have a bit more time at home recently.  I am moving on from an MES-40 smoker that I've had since 2011.  The final straw was last weekend when it went out during an overnight pork shoulder smoke and I had to throw out about 20 lbs of undercooked meat. >:(

I've been looking through the options for the Model 2D Digitial Wifi and the Model 3.  My budget is under $1000 and I primarily smoke full packer briskets, pork shoulders, pork loins and other random things like turkeys on occasion.  Nothing super fancy and we pretty much have it for family events or just meals with my 2 boys and my wife.

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
Chris from NE Iowa
SI #3

barelfly

Re: Hello from Iowa
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 10:21:57 AM »
Welcome @HawkFan70 from New Mexico!

Sorry to hear about the pork butt cook last week! But as you move forward, my one piece of advise, get the bigger size if you can swing it. I have a 3D, do I really need the digital auber, not really, and I say that after being able to use my Dad’s #2 a few times. It works just as good as my 3D. But, I do love the extra space for when I smoke for bigger groups. And full packers are easy to get in there. Others are able to smoke full packers in the #2 size as well, just takes some positioning to get it in there.

I don’t know about the Wifi option, so you will have to have others comment about that. But, I do know, you are looking at a great smoker whichever model you end up choosing!

Enjoy the board! And enjoy that smoker when you decide on the model you want and get it delivered!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »
Like Jeremy said, I would get the #3 over the #2. I have used both and kept the #3 for my main smoker.  It is so much easier to do ribs, hang a full 7# rack of jerky, etc. that I can't do in the #2.  I also don't miss the digital control as much as I thought I would originally.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:17:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum HawkFan70 from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

HawkFan70

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 05:46:16 PM »
Thanks for the greetings.  I will let you know what I end up with!
Chris from NE Iowa
SI #3

mike1910

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
I have a #3 analog. The extra space really comes in handy.  Welcome aboard and I know whatever you decide on will be great
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 12:31:03 AM »
Hey Chris, welcome!  I started with the #2 and now have the 3D-Wifi.  If I were starting with nothing I would get the #3 without hesitation.  I'm a professional computer geek and honestly feel that in 99.9% of the cases the digital just complicates things and makes it more error prone.  I miss the beautiful simplicity of my #2.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

HawkFan70

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!  I just placed an order for a #3 analog!  Can't wait until it arrives and I can try it out.

Hope everyone is staying safe.
Chris from NE Iowa
SI #3

tomd8

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:35:30 AM »
Hi HawkFan70 - Welcome from New York and good choice on the #3 analog.  I'm certain you'll love it.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, HawkFan70!  I think you will find the #3 perfect for your needs.   Let us know when you are up and running, and we love pics here!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2