Author Topic: Howdy from Texas – New #3 owner – Temp swings during break in?  (Read 1720 times)

billhilly

I’ve been smoking on a PBC for nearly 10 years and have been wanting to get a nice electric for quite a while so I can have better and lower temp control.  I got my #3 a couple days ago, put the wheels on, cleaned out all the Styrofoam buggers, and fired it up for a burn in according to the instructions.  I have a Thermoworks Smoke and dropped the probe in through the smoke hold about 8” down to see how the temp held.  It runs hot.  Once it got up to 250, it ranged from 246-342 during the 6 hours I left it on. 

I don’t know if it being empty for the break in was a contributing factor or if the probe dangling as opposed to being vertical and attached to a rack has an effect, or if the rheostat is part of the problem.  I suppose I can live with a temp swing of 96 degrees as long as I can figure out where to set the knob so my desired temp in in the middle of the swing.  Anybody got any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:51:02 AM by billhilly »

barelfly

Re: Howdy from Texas – New #3 owner – Temp swings during break in?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
Welcome!

In regards to the swings, the analogs have a bit a of a swing, but from what everyone says on here, it doesn’t effect the food. And you are correct on the box being completely empty, that causes a bit more of a swing because nothing is in there to heat sync. I don’t have an analog but just say this based on everything I’ve read from others.

You will love the #2. My dad has a #2 as well, and he loves it! Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 10:56:21 AM »
Welcome from Delaware!  I have had a #2 analog for several years now.   With meat in the smoker, I have seen temp swings of about +-20 degrees, but it tends to level out over time.  In addition, the swings tend to average out to the set temp.     I agree with barelfly that the empty smoker may be the culprit on this one.   Try putting some meat in and see what you get.  If you continue to see those high 300+ temps, please let us know.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
Welcome from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
Welcome to the family, billhilly...   the severe temperature swing during the seasoning is perfectly normal.  If you have the patience to go back through old posts you'll find numerous posts about it just like yours.  If you stay on course, the next thing that's going to happen is you're going to throw in a couple butts or maybe a brisket if you're adventurous and you're going to come back after a few hours posting here in a panic that you've seen temperature swings maybe even as high as +/- 40 deg (though typically smaller) with concern you're destroying whatever you're smoking.  Then we're all going to tell you to do yourself a favor and quit measuring the box temperature, ever.  I promise if you search on my early posts you'll see something just like this. :)  Everything got better after I quit monitoring the box temp and just let it do its thing...  never once ruined a product because of failure to monitor the box temp.  I did over cook a pork loin once, but that's just because I ignored my meter when it said I had hit my target internal temp and when I did get back to it I had overshot by a solid 10 degrees.  :(

If you do continue to monitor your box temp and you find that sometimes there is a random high spike you'll probably also find after your smoke that all you have in your fire box is ashes.  These two things point solidly to your wood caught on fire which introduced a lot of extra heat.  My preferred way of dealing with this problem is to put a double layer of thick aluminum foil in the bottom of the smoke box and then poke much smaller holes in it.  This seems to restrict the airflow through the fire box and it's incredibly rare for my wood to catch fire after that even though I use dry, cheap big-box store wood.  Others solve this problem by buying premium wood that has a higher moisture content and/or by ramping up the temperature over time.  What you should end up with in the fire box is charcoal with only the hints of ashes.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

billhilly

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:42:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I did find ashes where the beach wood was and charcoal where the hickory was.  I used 2 of the little hickory pieces that came with the smoker and a piece of beach from smokinlicious that I cut in 2.  I’m not really worried about the swing so much as figuring out where to set the rheostat so I get the desired temp in the middle of it.  My PBC rig swings like Tarzan but makes great food.  +/- 45 degrees I can deal with. +90 is a problem though. 

I’m going to do some ribs on it this weekend and take a guess at where to set it based on the info so far.  Being a bit OCD/mad scientist, I may rig up a heat sink on a shelf, properly mount the box probe, and use a water pan to see If I can’t dial it in a little better.  I love how clean the smoke is coming out it and can’t wait to have it all dialed in where it makes sense to me.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 03:18:16 PM »
Welcome from ND! You are going to love the ease and simplicity of the analog #3. I have the same smoker and have been churning out some awesome food since 2014 with zero issues.

I think you have received a lot of good replies already and I will just add-on that I am 99.9% sure that you 300+ degree spike was because your wood caught on fire. Without that our analog smokers will not go that high with just the element.

If you want to do some experimenting, you can wrap some patio pavers in foil and add to the smoker as a heat sink.

I would also use some combination of methods to prevent your wood from starting on fire. If you search for the term "belch" you will find a lot of information. I prefer ramping up my temps by starting at 150 for 30-45 minutes p[rior to going up to my final temp. This gives the wood a little break from that 100% on heating element as the smoker comes up to temp. The foiling, using your chip tray (if you got one), foiling your wood, etc are also great options.

I have also documented several times that the placement of your wood can make a difference too. If you do a test, I would suggest placing several chunks evenly spaced from front all the way to the back of your smoke box. Then take note of the wood after your smoke and look for the pieces that may have turned to ash or charcoal. On my #3 the rear of my smoke box burns a lot hotter, so on higher temp smokes I place my wood chunks toward the front of the smoke box, whereas lower temp smokes I place the wood more toward the rear.

I am interested to hear how your test/s go, and let us know how your ribs turn out. Check out the Rib post that is stickied in the Pork section for some really good tips on smoking ribs in your #3.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:34:47 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 05:14:17 PM »
been wanting to get a nice electric for quite a while so I can have better and lower temp control.

In my opinion you have the best model SI, an analog #3. Lots of room but not overly huge and cooks great without any fuss.

You just have to remember to TRUST THE TEMP SETTING.

Set your desired temp and walk away. The SI will do the work. When the temp drops it turns the heat up. When it comes to temp the heat turns off.

For example Set the dial for 225 it could be q low of 220 to a high of 240. But the majority of the cook it will be 225. That is how your oven works you just don't think about it. You hear your oven kick on and run then shut off as it chases the set temp, the SI is the same way.

You could get the precise control of a computer to maintain temps, but it is not needed.

Relax and quit watching the temp swings. Cook by time, set it and come back later. Not tender when you look at it, cook it some more. Never play with the temp control trying to chase a temp.

What i mean by that is you set it for 225 but see it is running 240 you turn it down to 200 thinking you may get it at 225 since "It is running Hot". Now you look and it is running 195-200.

Set it and walk away, this is intended to be a relaxing hobby.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
I’m not really worried about the swing so much as figuring out where to set the rheostat so I get the desired temp in the middle of it.
I’m going to do some ribs on it this weekend and take a guess at where to set it based on the info so far.

If you want to stick to Lazy-Q, I never once went wrong setting it anywhere between 225 and 235 for all beef and pork products.  (Turkey you'll want to go max.)
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »
The analog will cycle on and off causing the element to go high; it cycles off and when the element hits a low temp, it cycles back on.  There is nothing wrong with this process as the temp will average out.  Relax and enjoy.   
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mike1910

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
Welcome! I also have a #3 analog. Trust the fine advice form the previous posters and rest assured it will produce great food!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 08:28:59 PM »
I agonized whether to buy a #3 or #3D. Decided on a #3 because of cost and knowing I could always add a PID controller later.  Now 2 yr later, I don't feel a need to add a PID as I am very happy with the analog performance. 
I use PID in my electric brewery setup and love the control there.  But when smoking don't fell like it is something I need for what I smoke.
I do monitor the meat temperature though and wouldn't be without ability to check temperature of meat remotely.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 03:36:51 PM »
I agonized whether to buy a #3 or #3D. Decided on a #3 because of cost and knowing I could always add a PID controller later.  Now 2 yr later, I don't feel a need to add a PID as I am very happy with the analog performance. 
I use PID in my electric brewery setup and love the control there.  But when smoking don't fell like it is something I need for what I smoke.
I do monitor the meat temperature though and wouldn't be without ability to check temperature of meat remotely.

When I bought my analog #3 back in 2014, the PID wasn't even an option. If it had been the geek in me probably would have got it. But, 6 years later, I am with you in that I am glad that I got the analog. I have toyed with the idea of adding a PID over the years, but just never had the real need for it. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 05:53:40 PM »
I have the 3DW because I bought it barely used (it had been seasoned and maybe used once or twice?) for a price too low to pass up.  I really like it and at the same time there is no doubt that if I were starting over I'd do the #3, instead.