Author Topic: Brisket - Summary of prior posts  (Read 3759 times)

will615

Brisket - Summary of prior posts
« on: December 17, 2017, 08:08:05 PM »
I want to smoke my first brisket and I am a little intimidated! I am really pleased with the ribs and wings that I make with my #1! I went through most of the brisket posts and took notes. I hope this summary will help the next newbie like me. In no particular order:
-Brining seemed to be a constant theme. Some people like to inject after brining, others didn't think it made a difference. DM's brining recipe is here:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
If you want to inject the meat, one person suggested Worcestershire sauce and apple juice. Another liked Meat Church Holy Cow injection sauce
- Brined flats (Google whole packers vs. points vs. flats) take between 1.25 and 1.5 hours/lb.
- Wrap in foil before "the stall". Add some beef broth and/or Coke. Wrap a flat when the internal temp hits 150, then smoke until IT = 200. Without wrapping, Flats should come out at 195 deg and Points at 200-205 deg.
-The stall (when the meat temps stops climbing) can take 6 hours. Don't turn up the temp to try to rush it!
-There was a wide range of suggested smoke temps but most seemed to like 225 deg. If you are short on time, some suggested 260-275 deg.
- Use a water pan
- Most people smoked the brisket with the fat side down. If you get a whole packer (flat and point), some suggested separating the two. They put the point on the lower rack with the fat side down and the flat on the upper rack with the flat side up. They will both be ready at the same time even thought the finished temps are slightly different.
- After hitting the desired temp, pull the meat, double wrap in foil, put in a cooler and cover with towels. 1 hour is good and 2 hours are better.
- Use 6-8 oz of wood in the smoke
- Leave 1/4" fat cap on the meat. Score it with a knife in 1" squares to allow the brine to do it's work
What did I forget? There are just two of us in the house so doing a flat makes more sense although the consensus was that packers turn out a better tasting end result.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Brisket - Summary of prior posts
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 09:24:43 PM »
I recognize a lot of that advice. ;) Sounds like you've got it covered. If you are buying a flat-only cut, it will likely be plenty trimmed, if not over-trimmed. So don't trim any fat off. I usually leave about 3/8 inch or so fat. Flats don't have much fat to begin with. I don't normally wrap (I have always done Prime whole packers, cut in half to fit my #1), but if I were doing just a flat, wrapping is probably a good idea. They can get dry. The grade of the meat has a lot to do with it too. I would wrap Choice or Select flats (I'd avoid Select flats if possible). Wrapping Prime is optional. You can probably wrap when the meat is around 160. Since I buy Prime whole packer briskets at Costco, I don't inject or brine. That might be helpful though for Choice or below.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

will615

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
Kari, When you cut a packer in half, are you separating the flat and point or just vertically cutting it in half? Thanks!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:55:14 PM »
Will, vertical cut where the point end starts to taper into the flat.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

will615

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
Thanks!
Will, Nashville, TN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 01:12:28 AM »
Kari, When you cut a packer in half, are you separating the flat and point or just vertically cutting it in half? Thanks!

I've done it both ways. These days, I just cut vertically. Separating the muscles creates too much thinness on the flat, and I like that center section that contains both flat and point layers. Best part.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:53:22 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TX Gent

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Vertical cut is my go to on briskets now. Tried three different ways in the smoker with the two different muscle masses, high and higher racks along with more or less oz's of oak.  Vertical cuts, highest racks and extra Oak are my "Get'er" done now for brisket cooks.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Judge

• Slowly learning to smoke great food !
8 pound fresh brisket ordered for the Masters next Sunday
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »
I will have a group of guys at my deer camp to wathtc the final round.
Ordered an 8 lb brisket from local meat shop. Don't know what grade it is. Want to eat around 1pm. Too much info on here. I am inclined to inject and rub on friday and skip brining. (people here seem to suggest not doing both)
I have a number 2. Would like to start it on Saturday so it is done on Sunday morning early enough to go in a cooler and rest and also allow some leeway on cooking time. Wrap in foil at what point ? Total cook time at 225? I would rather serve it sliced instead of pulled

As always thank you for the advice
Woodsfield Ohio - SI#2
Hunter, fisherman, golfer.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 07:04:49 PM »
Needless to say, I'm pretty partial to my brine. ;)   If I brine a brisket, I do not inject.  I also keep it simple!  That is, brisket out of the brine (12 hours), rinse, pat dry, rub and into the smoker.  There is sits, without peeking, until done.  No foil for me!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!