Author Topic: Whole Brisket, Brined and Smoked!  (Read 13852 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Whole Brisket, Brined and Smoked!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »
Joe, the 4 hour hold at 140 assumes that your brisket is done 4 hours before meal time and starts when your brisket is done.  190 internal temp is just a checking point to see if you are done or close to done.  In lieu of the hold at 140, wrapped in foil and covered with towels in an ice chest works just as well or better.  Try to time your brisket to be done 1 to 4 hours before dinner so that it can have the appropriate rest time before slicing. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Joe Jitsu

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »
Thanks for the clarification SuperDave! I've only done ribs in my 3D. Doing a brisket looks like I'll need to step it up to another level. A bit intimidating.
Joe from CA
Smokin-It 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
We're here for you buddy.  There is more than one way to get an exceptional result but some of the basics are always the same.  After your first one you'll know how to make your own adjustments to suit your particular tastes. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »
Joe, Dave nailed it (of course).  Let me simply add to not let a briskie intimidate you!  Once you smoke one, you'll see it's another "intimidating" piece of meat that is easily tamed in an SI!  Prep is the key, and giving it time to rest at the end.  Just jump in a give it a whirl!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Joe Jitsu

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
Thanks DivotMaker. What would you suggest that I use to inject? Do you have a recipe that you recommend or do you just use a store-bought brand? I'll also assume that I inject the brisket right before I place it in the smoker.
Joe from CA
Smokin-It 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 07:09:21 PM »
Joe, if I brine, I don't inject.  Not saying you can't, or shouldn't, just saying I don't.  If I inject, I want it to spend the night in the fridge to get happy, so this is something you don't do just before smoking.  The injection I use is my recipe, and adds a little different flavor profile:

DM's Brisket Injection
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Joe Jitsu

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 07:18:47 PM »
Thanks again! I have "The Briner". Have not used it since I bought it quite a while ago. I'll go that route instead of injecting.
Joe from CA
Smokin-It 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »
If you go with Prime vs. Choice, neither brining nor injecting is required IMO.  I used to do those things when using Choice but ever since I started using Prime it hasn't been necessary to achieve moist, succulent brisket. 

Zagar

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2023, 10:21:18 AM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was curious about this method with a split packer that's mostly trimmed. I want to use the equilibrium brine and then I can't decide on what to use for a rub. I have good success with my #2 and baby back ribs. I tried a brisket before (whole) but I wasn't necessarily pleased with the way it turned out. Is that Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning that good that I should order some? Wife isn't keen on heat/spicy, so something flavorful without the peppers is preferable.

For reference, I picked up a 22lb packer, trimmed almost 9lbs of fat off after splitting the point and flat. I can put the point (5+lbs) on the lower shelf with the flat (11+lbs) above. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :) I'll use hickory and a tray of apple juice. Still deciding on rub...

And I should say that though this is my first post, I have been lurking here reading for a while. Learning a WHOLE lot!! :D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2023, 08:55:08 PM »
Hello and welcome. My rub is salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and (odd) but also brown sugar for brisketts and butts. I do not order any rub; a quick read of the ingredients and you can create at home. Wife and I decided on just the basics plus the smoke gives us what we like. Sorry your other attempt did not work out. Good luck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Zagar

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2023, 07:51:00 AM »
Thank you!  I have always made up my own seasonings, so I will try your mix.

As far as the time in my #2, being that it's a split brisket, I will probe both parts, but I'm a little confused about the stall. When it hits, do I pull them  and wrap them in foil, putting them back in until they hit temp? On everything else I always just leave it until it hits temp and then rest in the cooler. I read on another thread here that someone let their brisket rest for many, many hours. I'm just trying to avoid the dreaded dry brisket. :)

ETA: Would you mind sharing the amounts you use of your spices? I'm guessing a cup of brown sugar and a tablespoon of each of the spices?  Also, I'm intrigued by this from the Brined Brisket thread:

I subscribe to Jeff Phillips email blast.

I received an interesting one last week, brine brisket.

Brine:
1 quart of OJ
2 TBSP of Hot sauce
1/4 cup of kosher salt.
Brine overnight. (I brined for 9 hours)

4-5 lb. brisket flat.

Then the regular smoking process foiling at 160, and let finish cooking to 201-203.

I will let you know how it comes out.

I may try this since people commented that you don't taste the OJ or hot sauce. I wonder what the purpose of the hot sauce is... I could use Franks Redhot, Valentina, or one of the myriad others I have in the fridge.

Again, I appreciate the guidance!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 08:12:18 AM by Zagar »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2023, 08:00:42 PM »
A cup of brown sugar should do it.  Be advised that it liquefies fairly quickly so do the rub with meat on the rack and rack on a baking sheet/jelly roll pan. I do not interrupt the stall by wrapping.  I just let it go. Admittedly I have never split a brisket; always whole.  I smoke fat side down and place trimmed fat on te lean side. If I need to sneak a peak, I run a borescope down the smoke hole.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus