Author Topic: Are the probes different?  (Read 1181 times)

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
Are the probes different?
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »
So, I ran my burn in on my 3D WiFi last night after reading the manual. I was just setting up the smoker for my first smoke tomorrow and noticed the probe wires look different. One is thicker and also the port connection looks different. The manual says nothing about the wires being different, but it does mention "P3" for temperature and "P2" for internal food probe regarding the PID ports. I placed both into the smoker during burn in to test accuracy. Is there actually supposed a difference in the two?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:32:28 PM by LandToSea »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Are the probes different?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
There should be no difference. I admit there is a cosmetic difference in the second photo. P2 will interface with the controller for the settings you have chosen like moving from one step to another based upon internal temp. P3 is strictly reading the meat temp. One other thing: probes are sensitive to water so go easy on the cleaning.

edit:  I just checked my probes and they are slightly different where the wire goes into the connector, just like yours.  Chalk it up to manufacturing suppliers.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:49:44 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives