Author Topic: Am I using the right wire to bypass?  (Read 2263 times)

cookingdude555

Am I using the right wire to bypass?
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
I am going to bypass my stock controller today to put the new WiFi Auber in the drivers seat. I bought some connectors and had some 12 gauge wire hanging around, but I’m beginning to think stranded wire should be used instead of solid core? What did you guys use?
John - Utah

cookingdude555

Re: Am I using the right wire to bypass?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
adding picture to see what I mean

John - Utah

cookingdude555

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Went back to store, bought a 50 foot spool of 12 stranded THHN.  Did the trick.  Once I got that wire, crimping, opening the #3, and bypassing took about 20 minutes. 
John - Utah

Walt

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
Mine has been bypassed for a few years. I haven't had much problems with anything to the top left in the picture. However, the high heat stranded wire, where it connects to the element, gets a bit crispy and delicate after awhile. This has caused the connection to part mid smoke twice over the last couple years. A quick and easy fix. I live in a high humidity environment, so that may account for my issue.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

cookingdude555

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply Walt. I’m in a desert here in Utah, we don’t get much humidity so hopefully that do sit happen. But if it does it’s nice to know it’s easy to crack this open and make repairs.
John - Utah

1stlink

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »
John,
I missed this thread but Walt had you covered anyway.. THHN is high temp insulation which is needed as well as stranded wire (MTW) and 12 AWG (20A) is heavier than needed but can't hurt anything.
I will be following your venture with the new Auber WiFi PID as I may go that route also. Please keep us posted.
Ralph

cookingdude555

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:28:18 PM »
First cook went well.  I see a large opportunity for many customers that want the new features of the "red" smoker.  This has all of them for $250 as an upgrade.  I am not sure that SI will offer an upgrade path to the new built in wifi auber controller, but this offers the same thing without buying the new product.
John - Utah