Author Topic: Probe Failure !  (Read 3152 times)

bogeyjim

Probe Failure !
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
Up at 5:00 this AM to get my shoulder going.  Using a Smoke system (third time using it) to monitor temps..  Inserted the two probes, box was fine reading 64, however the meat probe read 186, in my cold piece of meat.  Tried switching ports, same readouts, so problem not in the base unit.  Only option was to insert the box probe into the meat.

My question, does anyone know how accurate this probe is compared to the meat probe?  Discouraging to have this happen on only my third use of the Smoke.  Lesson learned, test it after cleaning, and have a second back up probe.
Jim in The Granite State

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Probe Failure !
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
Sorry I missed this till tonight.  When you say SMOKE, are you referring to an after market unit like that sold by Thermoworks?  If so they would be the people to talk to.  In any case, meat probes should not fail during normal use and careful cleaning but if they do leak water during cleaning they can and do fail. Thermoworks sells probe cleaning pads just for wiping down a probe after use. Now if you are talking about a meat probe that came with your smoker, the same water issue applies and has been discussed before.
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4790.msg44018#msg44018
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bogeyjim

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
Hi Sarge, this was indeed the Thermoworks product.  I'm very careful following instructions.  I got by using the air probe in the meat.

Contacted Thermoworks after the holiday, and they said likely just a probe failure.  They sent out a replacement right away, and I also ordered another so as to not get into this situation again (which they discounted for me).  Their customer service has been stellar.
Jim in The Granite State

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 11:18:55 AM »
Good to know. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bogeyjim

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:28:09 AM »
I put in two pork butts this AM and 45 minutes in I have had another meat probe fail on my Thermoworks Smoke unit.  Luckily I had a backup (purchased after the last failure), though that meant interrupting the Smoke of the butts to replace.

Thermoworks wants me to send it back for analysis.  I suggested they send a replacement and include a return label, but they wouldn't go for that (poor customer service in my mind, as they are intimating that I have caused the failure).

I'm starting to doubt my choice for my temperature monitoring system.  Has anyone else experienced difficulty with Thermoworks products?
Jim in The Granite State

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 10:57:46 AM »
Knock on wood..... I have not and I’ve had my chef Alarm for 3 years and have the first probe as well as three others I used purchased after the initial purchase. Is the smoke the specialty probes or the regular ones? I don’t remember which plug in style they are?

Hope It works out for you some how. Crappy you have to pay to send it back though.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

bogeyjim

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »
Regular probes, like a headphone jack.  Have not had any issues with the probe that measures the interior temperature.  My original meat probe failed on its third use.  The replacement from Thermoworks failed today on its seventh use.  I never immerse them in water for cleaning, just hold carefully and wipe with a damp sponge.  Also careful to never kink the cable.

The tech was not familiar with Smokin-It.  I told him the probes are inserted through the flu (only method that can be used) and he immediately said they don't recommend that method (then how without kinking the cable?).

They did email me a return label, and it's now on the way back to them for "analysis".  I hope this is just a fluke!
Jim in The Granite State

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »
That’s how I’ve used mine for the 3D, down the spout hole. No other way really. I’m gonna say it’s bad luck then because I wash mine the same way, sponge to the probe portion only and dry. Then I roll the wire up and back into the case I purchased.

When I use my WEBER kettle, I have tried a few ways of getting the probe inside, under lid, through the exhaust damper, and they are doing great.

Hopefully the next one works. I don’t see you doing anything differently than what I do.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:42:31 PM »
I put in two pork butts this AM and 45 minutes in I have had another meat probe fail on my Thermoworks Smoke unit.  Luckily I had a backup (purchased after the last failure), though that meant interrupting the Smoke of the butts to replace.

Thermoworks wants me to send it back for analysis.  I suggested they send a replacement and include a return label, but they wouldn't go for that (poor customer service in my mind, as they are intimating that I have caused the failure).

I'm starting to doubt my choice for my temperature monitoring system.  Has anyone else experienced difficulty with Thermoworks products?

I can understand your feelings but it is an expensive item and I can imagine that they, Thermoworks, have been scammed in the past.  In any event, if they want to look at the item for signs and cause of failure,it could help in them improving the reliability and durability of the product.  If it were me, I would send it to them and hope for the best. I would also include a note asking for it to be repaired and returned off replaced with new and an explanation of what their analysis showed.   Good luck!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 11:17:19 PM »
I probably have around 40 uses with my Smoke and not had any issues. And I do put the probes through the flue.
Probably not had any problems because I bought 4 replacement probes on their black friday sale last year.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA