Author Topic: Time question  (Read 1477 times)

Bugman

Time question
« on: November 14, 2019, 09:13:34 AM »
I have a 2D SI. I’m smoking 2  pork butts(bone in)for this Saturday 4:00 pm meal. One is 7.25 lbs and the other is 7.45 lbs.
I have only smoked single pork butts before. Two questions: what should I estimate time to smoke them since there are two instead of one? Is there any reason to be concerned with all the drippings from the butt on top if I put one on shelf above the other? In the past when I only smoke one there are quite a bit of drippings on the wood tray lid and smoker bottom. Thanks for the help.
Bugman

Papa Rick

Re: Time question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »
I have the older version #2 and when I smoke butts, I always do 4 of them to save on time etc..  This past weekend I did 4 of them, 2 10lbs and 2 8lbs.  I have never had any problems with the top drippings being too much on the bottom. 

Two things to watch for:  If you use a water pan, don't put very much in it as the drippings from two will put a lot of juice in it.  I put very little in my water pan and at the end it is almost full and my catch pan is also.

Stagger how you place them in the smoker so the heat will distribute evenly between them.

When I do 4, I place the two biggest ones one up from the bottom rack and the two smaller ones one down from the top rack and they usually get done within a couple of hours of each other.

I am a firm believer in the temp probes being in there though.  I usually put mine on at Midnight and go to bed and have them done between 12 to 5 the next day.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Time question
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »
X2 and I have the #3.  Just make sure you have temp probes in the meat or at least an instant read thermometer for the butts that don't have a controller probe.  Also, be careful to ensure that when a controller butt is done it does not shut down the smoker or go to a keep warm mode.  The others will still need time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus