Author Topic: Turkey Breast - Test 1  (Read 3060 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Turkey Breast - Test 1
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
Did a 7# turkey breast run today to prepare for Thanksgiving.   I followed the brining advice and bacon on top that were mentioned in other posts.  The brining was limited to about 5 hours given that the tb was already injected with stuff from the manufacturer.   I used Jeff Philip's rub  and topped the tb with bacon.   Started the smoke at noon at 225F (cherry wood) and expected to be at temp within 3.5 hours.  Here's the point to this post...the temp in the tb was rising rather quickly and I actually thought it would be in under 3 hours, but no way.  The tb stalled at about 156 for a good thirty minutes, and only reached 160IT at the 4 hour mark!   Now I know to allow more time.  I pulled the tb at 160IT and doubled foiled/towel wrapped in a cooler for 2 hours, but it clearly needed more time on the smoker.  The tb was very moist and tasty, but I could see that some of the meat was still underdone.

For T-day, I will allow extra time for the smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Turkey Breast - Test 1
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »
Good tip. Steve!  I guess a tb can stall just like any other large piece of meat.  I thought it would cook more like a chicken.  Bet the "done" part tasted good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »
Steve, I smoked a 5.66# turkey breast yesterday.  Brined for 4.5 hours.  Put some non-salt rub on paprika and rushed rosemary. Smoked at 240

I did not use a water pan this time. (A timely mistake)

The turkey took six hours to get to 163 degrees (I think it was the water pan) last time 3 1/2 hours.
The bird it 140 at the 3 hour mark and then it took forever to get to 163.  I even put the temperature up to 250.

The turkey was juicy and moist (had for breakfast). No salty at all nice smoke flavor. 1.25 oz of cherry wood.

Lessons learned: Brine for 45-60 minutes per pound, put in a water pan it assisted in keeping the temperature constantly throughout the process.  I did not have my thermometer in for the temp of the smoker. 

Overall a success, I am really thinking about getting a PID to maintain and get some higher temperatures.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
Thanks, Ed...glad the tb turned out well!   I debated using a water pan but thought the brine and whatever injection was already in the tb would keep it moist, and indeed the tb was moist.   I brined for 5 hours on Friday, then rubbed and left the tb in the fridge overnight.  Also used the bacon on top of the tb.    I will go with the water pan for the Thanksgiving tb smoke, and definitely allow more time to get to 163F.  Overall, though, the tb was done but I noticed some slices of the meat could have used more time and I just threw those pieces away.   But what I ate was delicious, and I am looking forward to a tb sandwich for lunch today!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2