Author Topic: Another Noob from CA  (Read 6233 times)

bubbabob

Another Noob from CA
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:06:20 PM »
Hey All,
Bob here in Placerville CA. I'm on the old side. Owned several different smokers but was never much good at it. Then about 4 months ago I decided to get some education and started reading and using online forums. Bought a BGE about 2 months ago and started using some of the knowledge most of you guys already have. My purchase of the SI 1 was primarily to use as a chambro for the stuff I smoke in the egg, but I'll be smokin with it too. I have a long way to go, but my experiments lately have been pretty tasty anyway, so I figure they'll only get better. Glad to be aboard!
Cheers,
BB
Large BGE, SI #1, Weber Genesis gasser, Maverick ET 733, Thermapen, Grill Grates for my gasser, and a Vortex.

"I know I'm having a good day when my gratitude exceeds my expectations." - Ray Wiley Hubbard

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Noob from CA
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, BB!   I think you will find it much easier to smoke in the #1 than the BGE, but it is great that you have both.   Enjoy the forum...lots of good advice and recipes to try out.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
Welcome from Eastern MA! I also have the SI#1...The "little guy" with big results.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

drains

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »
Welcome from Texas! I was at Home Depot yesterday and was scoping out a BGE but the 799.00 gave me pause. I hope you enjoy your#1 and come here often and share your experience with us.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 06:05:18 PM »
BB, Welcome from SW Arkansas!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:58:25 PM »
Welcome Bob!  Hope to see some good Cali-Q recipes from you!  I'm a big fan of Santa Maria-style BBQ.  I'm a Southern transplant - originally started life as a prune picker, but transplanted to the south at age 14.  So, I consider myself Southern, but still have great memories of Cali cooking!  Beautiful part of the state, you're in!

Great to have you with us!  Based on your past smoking experience, you may have to change a habit or two, but all in the name of "Lazy Q!" 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »
Hi BB. Your SI is a lot more than a cambro. dig into this forum and learn and participate. Enjoy your SI and Happy smoking!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
Hi BB. Your SI is a lot more than a cambro. dig into this forum and learn and participate. Enjoy your SI and Happy smoking!

+1!  A lot less work than the egg, too! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Tyarra

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:41:36 AM »
Welcome!  And, if you're anything like us, you'll take to the Lazy-Q way quick enough. :) 
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:18:38 AM »
Welcome Bob from Saint Augustine.

I used a BGE for 10 plus years and since moving over the the #2, not looking or going back.

Greg

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »
Welcome Bob, I'm just down the road in Fresno, you'll enjoy the form....lots of inspiration
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

bubbabob

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
Hey, Thanks for all the encouragement and welcomes you guys. I'm sure I'll be using my little guy for a bunch of stuff. I did some Steelhead the other day and it turned out great, with not much work involved either. My next smoke is going to be some beef jerky. It will be fun to get to know you all, and get some help when I need it too.
Cheers,
BB
Large BGE, SI #1, Weber Genesis gasser, Maverick ET 733, Thermapen, Grill Grates for my gasser, and a Vortex.

"I know I'm having a good day when my gratitude exceeds my expectations." - Ray Wiley Hubbard

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »
Hey Bubba, How did the cart work for your little guy? I am in the middle of modifications on my smokers today. Right now I have one of the Aubers apart changing the power cord. As you use the #1, you will really enjoy the flavor and also the ease of the product it turns out.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
Hey, Thanks for all the encouragement and welcomes you guys. I'm sure I'll be using my little guy for a bunch of stuff. I did some Steelhead the other day and it turned out great, with not much work involved either. My next smoke is going to be some beef jerky. It will be fun to get to know you all, and get some help when I need it too.
Cheers,
BB

Hey Bob,  I definitely recommend the jerky fan for jerky or sausage, to remove the moisture.  These are so tight, it's hard to get jerky to "dry," rather than "cook" without a fan.  Some folks have made their own, but I just got the James jerky dryer, and it works great.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
Hey Bob if you have a dehydrator, you can do the jerky without having a jerky fan. Just smoke your meat at 225 for 2 hrs then remove and place in the dehydrator at 140 to finish. Here is the post that explains how to do this.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3338.0
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri