Author Topic: Looking to be an owner of a new #2.  (Read 5801 times)

ChuckV309

Looking to be an owner of a new #2.
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:28:14 PM »
Hi everyone.  Been looking for an electric smoker for awhile now and have decided on the Smokin-it #2.  I have been doing some great cooking with my Charbroil Big Easy SRG (smoker, roaster, and grill), but it has its limitations on smoking.  I love it for turkeys, yard birds, and pork loins, but never been real happy with the ribs, brisket, or butts, so getting a dedicated smoker.  I really like the looks of the Smokin-it brand, and have been reading some great reviews.  The price is also awesome :o.  I'm going to be posting a couple questions over on the #2 page, so come and look there also.

Thanks,
Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Smokin-it #3 w/ auber and internal temp.
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

Chuck.  Central Illinois.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Looking to be an owner of a new #2.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
Welcome from ND Chuck!

You will love the set and forget it capability of the Smokin-It smokers, "Lazy Q" as we call it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:09:28 PM »
Welcome, Chuck!  You will be happy with the #2, I know I am!  Very easy to set up, and gives a new meaning to "Lazy Q"!   I have my #2 working for me (vs me working) pretty much every weekend.  Welcome to the forum...lots of good advice from folks that get the job done!  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:39:19 PM »
Welcome again, Chuck!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:55:31 PM »
Welcome aboard Chuck! I just got my SI2 less than a month ago and have been using it like Crazy. Starting my #6 smoke tomorrow. You will love it!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

ChuckV309

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 01:16:48 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes guys.  Really looking forward to it.
Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

Mike

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »
Best decision/investment I made..#2 fits me and the family's need. Had a propane smoker and hated it...
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

goldentouch

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
I have a #2 and it will make the ribs and brisket come out juicy and with little effort on your part.  You will be very happy with this smoker.   Read the forums and it will not lead you in the wrong direction.

Happy Smoking
Eddie from East Texas

ChuckV309

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
I pulled the trigger on a #3 :P instead of the #2.  After doing some more reading, decided to go with the bigger one.  Just have to wait for it to ship since they were closed for inventory all last week.

Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »
I think you will be happy that you went with the #3. I know I am. You quickly forget about the extra money for the #3 after you see it. I don't know if I have ever seen anyone here wish they would have gotten the smaller one ;) Well, maybe there has been, but I don't remember seeing anyone say it.

I see you are a fellow Weber Genesis owner too. I love my grill. My only complaint is that my model has the knobs on the right-side tray. What a stupid place to put the knobs. It totally makes that tray useless for three relatively small knobs. OK, rant over. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 08:28:29 PM »
Way to go, Chuck! ;D   Congrats!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
My only complaint is that my model has the knobs on the right-side tray. What a stupid place to put the knobs. It totally makes that tray useless for three relatively small knobs. OK, rant over. :)

Ha!  Must be the "universal rub," Gregg!  That's the only thing I've always hated about my old 1100!
Tony from NW Arkansas

ChuckV309

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 01:04:34 AM »
I see you are a fellow Weber Genesis owner too. I love my grill. My only complaint is that my model has the knobs on the right-side tray. What a stupid place to put the knobs. It totally makes that tray useless for three relatively small knobs. OK, rant over. :)
[/quote]

I know what you mean.  My dad has one like that too.  Luckily mine has them on the front.

I wasn't too concerned about the price difference between the #2 and #3.  The big concern is the shipping cost.  I was just going to order and then go pick it up.  They are about 300 miles from me.  Would of been about $50 for fuel to get there and back.  The money saved would buy some of the accessories I wanted.  Because of their shutdown special last week (accessories I was going to buy), I decided to go ahead and order it and have it delivered.  Cost me about $30 more, but I figured my time was worth that.

Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

cookingdude555

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 03:00:51 AM »
Welcome, and congrats on the #3.  That's the size I chose so I am sure its the best one for everyone  :).    Since we are talking Weber Genesis, I have one as well with the burners on the side.  Some people say they cook better with the long running burners, I haven't tried it with the shorter burners (allowing knobs on front), so I cant say one way or the other.
John - Utah

septemberelk

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »
Welcome, i have only had my #4 for a short time but the food that i smoked turned out very good.You will enjoy your new smoker.
Mike from western Washington. Smokin it #4